Penalty Kick

Wolrabs

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
Hi,

Green have a penalty and opt to kick for goal. Red stand 10m away. Green takes kick and is successful. However Red forward jumps as the kick is taken.

What is the decision?

Cheers

Sean

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Play on if kick is successful, no further action required.

If unsuccessful you could advance the PK 10 metres.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hi,

Green have a penalty and opt to kick for goal. Red stand 10m away. Green takes kick and is successful. However Red forward jumps as the kick is taken.

What is the decision?

Cheers

Sean

I'm not a ref, but with that qualification:

It's an infringement (21.5(c)):

[LAWS]if the kicker indicates to the referee the intent to kick at goal, the opposing team must stand still with their hands by their sides from the time the kicker starts to approach to kick until the ball is kicked.[/LAWS]

potentially penalised by a further kick 10m in front of the previous one (21.7):

[LAWS]Any infringement by the opposing team results in a second penalty kick, 10 metres in front of the mark for the first kick. This mark must not be within 5 metres of the goal line. Any player may take the kick. The kicker may change the type of kick and may choose to kick at goal. If the referee awards a second penalty kick, the second penalty kick is not taken before the referee has made the mark indicating the place of the penalty.[/LAWS]

But as it's successful 21.5(e) says the goal stands and there is no further penalty (not even a penalty restart):

[LAWS]If the opposing team infringes while the kick is being taken but the kick at goal is successful, the goal stands. A further penalty is not awarded for the infringement.[/LAWS]

Presumably though a word with the jumper and a warning that a repetition may draw sanction would be appropriate?

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Manage the situation.

Let the points stand and have a word with the miscreant - through his captain - to point out the error of his ways. If it happens again restart with a PK (assuming the kick was again successful).

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If it happens again restart with a PK (assuming the kick was again successful).

I doubt that has any basis in law as the ball is still in play but the sentiment is sound.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Manage the situation.

Let the points stand and have a word with the miscreant - through his captain - to point out the error of his ways. If it happens again restart with a PK (assuming the kick was again successful).

Not supported by any Law that I know of.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Not supported by any Law that I know of.

...and indeed contradicted by 21.5(e).

However could 10.2 (deliberate offending), 10.3 (repeated offending) or 10.4(m) (offence against good sportsmanship) be applied if he just won't stop?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
...and indeed contradicted by 21.5(e).

However could 10.2 (deliberate offending), 10.3 (repeated offending) or 10.4(m) (offence against good sportsmanship) be applied if he just won't stop?

Arguably, if he won't stop yet all kicks are still successful then there isn't an offence, I guess its 'kick attempt advantage' in action

On the very rare occasions its happened in my fixtures, if he attempts a distraction and the kick fails and the kicker gets a second opportunity then rebuke by the oppo captain/peers swiftly follows, that invariably ends the practice.

In theory 'repeat' could come into play, but in practice I doubt it ever would, I've never seen it.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I would suggest that Law 10.2 (a) - which states - "A player must not ... play unfairly." For which the sanction is a PK.

Or else 10.4 (m) Acts contrary to good sportsmanship "A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship in the playing enclosure

Or else 10.4 (n) Misconduct while the ball is out of play

I will admit that the last one is a bit tenuous, but the first two are easily justifiable.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Saracens winger Chris Ashton escaped a misconduct charge earlier this week after he had attempted to put off Harlequins flyhalf Nick Evans during the Premiership Semi Final on Saturday. Ashton shouted 'push it' as Evans attemped a conversion kick.

Harlequins fullback Mike Brown scored a try just before halftime and as Evans was about to attempt the conversion, foot about to strike the ball, Ashton shouted at him in an attempt to distract him.

Evans slotted the kick and the players went into the tunnel for halftime, but it caused a bit of a melee and some England teammates took him aside to have a word. Whether it was it was frustration boiling over or just intended as banter, Quins weren't amused, and neither were the RFU.

They reviewed the incident and released a statement regarding respect being one of the core values of Rugby. The

http://www.rugbydump.com/2014/05/37...ush-it-as-nick-evans-attempts-conversion-kick

RFU Head of Discipline, Gerard McEvilly, spoke to Ashton about the incident, his responsibilities towards the game and his future conduct. A written warning was set to follow.

Had Evans missed the kick, he would more than likely have had another attempt at it and perhaps if it weren't halftime, referee Wayne Barnes may have even considered restarting with a penalty on the halfway line. As it was, Ashton appeared to get a telling off by some of the Quins players.

My bolding.

WTF !!
OK, so shouting isn't specified in Law 21.5(c), so it must unsporting .... But since when did " unsporting " get you a written letter from the RFU? ...... Crikey you'd need a van delivery to Danny Grewcocks address!!!!

Clearly its distasteful game practice, but maybe the RFU think that its an inflamatory crowd copying issue?

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
OK, so shouting isn't specified in Law 21.5(c), so it must unsporting
Law 9.B.3 (c)[LAWS]A defending team must not shout during a kick at goal.[/LAWS]

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Browner,

My tuppenceworth on the Ashton incident. Were it to happen at grass roots level, you'd expect the ref to manage it (if they hear it and spot the miscreant of course). However, semi final of the RFU's flagship domestic "product" and the eyes of the world watching... I would indeed expect a swift statement by the RFU exactly on the subject matter of core values and our playing charter.

I think the RFU got this one correct - it's such a rare incident that I feel it deserves the (negative) attention it's getting.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Law 9.B.3 (c)[LAWS]A defending team must not shout during a kick at goal.[/LAWS]

Oooooooops forgot it was a conversion not a PK, ........ Surely WB would've sorted that one.
Well spotted OB.. : '(

9.B.3 doesn't give a PK restart, as the article suggests might've happened, you only get another attempt , free from a charge.

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
The irony is that the Saracens faithful are 'kick quiet ' respectful ( if you discount the finger wiggling Tommy Cooper Style crap)