Penalty Try

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
No that there is no longer a conversion, we should get rid of the need to run over to the posts to award a PT.

I don't like the way the ref has to run away at what can sometimes be rather a flashpoint situation .....

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
He/She doesn't have to run away/anywhere!!
Manage it!

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Moving under the posts is conventionally how you indicate to the crowd it is a penalty try, but you can whistle, deal with any potential flare up and then go under the posts.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
From past learnings (don’t ask), I try to manage the incident, show the obligatory card, and communicate to captains the decision on the spot. Running between the posts is just a visual thing on my way back to the middle when all dealt with

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
No that there is no longer a conversion, we should get rid of the need to run over to the posts to award a PT.

I don't like the way the ref has to run away at what can sometimes be rather a flashpoint situation .....

WADR, that isn't what needs to happen.
Your issue is ill-founded.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
WADR, that isn't what needs to happen.
Your issue is ill-founded.

Because you don't go under the the posts ? Or because you don't think it matters that you have to go under the posts ?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
From past learnings (don’t ask), I try to manage the incident, show the obligatory card, and communicate to captains the decision on the spot. Running between the posts is just a visual thing on my way back to the middle when all dealt with

agreed

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
It may not matter at grassroots but in a stadium with several thousand spectators it is a useful visual communication which explains what has happened.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Moving under the posts is conventionally how you indicate to the crowd it is a penalty try, but you can whistle, deal with any potential flare up and then go under the posts.

Spot on. Should have been the approach when ther was a conversion required. NEVER leave the potential flashpoint unobserved.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Because you don't go under the the posts ? Or because you don't think it matters that you have to go under the posts ?

Seriously?
Read Flish's post.

You only go under the posts when the dust has settled on the incident. That is surely PT 101

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Seriously?
Read Flish's post.

You only go under the posts when the dust has settled on the incident. That is surely PT 101

shrug - my question was prompted by watching Luke Pearce on TV running away from the action ... in order to award a PT...

I think that's quite normal, I'll watch out for it going forward

But I think you are rather agreeing with me though: we agree that when awarding a PT, we DON'T generally don't want to be running away from the action to do it.

So why do we have a Law requiring exactly that?

Your answer is 'doesn't matter - just ignore the requirement for a while'
My answer is 'change the Law so that a PT can be awarded anywhere along the goal line'

My suggestion wouldn't have worked when a conversion was necessary, it was the conversion (I reckon) that was the original reason for going under the posts.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
shrug - my question was prompted by watching Luke Pearce on TV running away from the action ... in order to award a PT...

fair enough for showbiz rugby with TMOs, citing chappies and the like. In the weeds, best do as others have suggested IMO

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In the weeds, best do as others have suggested IMO

Yes, seems we all agree that it's NOT a good idea to run off under the posts, and so many of us don't do it.

hence my OP: the Law should be change to remove the requirement to run off under the post

(not really very controversial!)

Last edited:

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
But you are selling your decisions not just to the thrity on the pitchbut to those on the touch lines. Even f you only have the traditions two dads and a man aand a dog - they deserve to know what is happening. Getting used to making big clear signals, including the secondary signals helps when moving up the pyramid where you will have larger crowds - the mums come along as well and both bring their dogs.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

But I think you are rather agreeing with me though: we agree that when awarding a PT, we DON'T generally don't want to be running away from the action to do it.

So why do we have a Law requiring exactly that?

Your answer is 'doesn't matter - just ignore the requirement for a while'
My answer is 'change the Law so that a PT can be awarded anywhere along the goal line'

My suggestion wouldn't have worked when a conversion was necessary, it was the conversion (I reckon) that was the original reason for going under the posts.

Muy answer is bot ignore. YOu blow for the offence DEal with the IMMEDIATE situation. THEN when all is calm you go under the posts. IT is simple. Unless, of course you want to create problems that are not there.

Luke was wrong to ignore a situation that could flare up IF he left a potential flash point develop unobserved.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
But you are selling your decisions not just to the thrity on the pitchbut to those on the touch lines. Even f you only have the traditions two dads and a man aand a dog - they deserve to know what is happening. Getting used to making big clear signals, including the secondary signals helps when moving up the pyramid where you will have larger crowds - the mums come along as well and both bring their dogs.

EXACTLY MY POINT

from a game management point of view, when awarding a PT, very often you really would be best off remaining close to the action, to manage any fall out.

however - to provide a clear signal you have to run off under the posts!

So I am suggesting that we could remove this conflict by changing the signal..

A PT could be awarded anywhere along the goal line. If it wasn't immediately clear to the crowd, the absence of a conversion would show it. .

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So I am suggesting that we could remove this conflict by changing the signal..

WADR I'd suggest this is not rugby's biggest issue. PTs are quite infrequent

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
WADR I'd suggest this is not rugby's biggest issue. PTs are quite infrequent

i would certainly agree that it's not rugby's biggest issue :)

has anyone said it was?

I don't think the forum is restricted to discussing only rugby's biggest issue?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
that was my polite way of saying it's not really an issue at all :)

KoolFork

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Is it simply convention? As a penalty try is usually awarded in the Field of Play, why cannot a referee signal the award of a penalty try at the place of infringement? It should be obvious to the crowd that it's a penalty try as everyone trots back for the re-start.

Status
Not open for further replies.