Peter Cunninham - HRURS & RNURS - A Gentleman - RIP

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
It is our sad duty to advise you all that Peter Cunningham passed away on Thursday 20th December.

Peter was diagnosed with cancer a few months ago and after ten days in hospital recently had been moved to a nursing home.

Peter played for US Portsmouth in the late sixties and seventies and was capped by the Royal Navy as fullback against the RAF and Army in 1967 when a Sub Lieutenant. He was a life long member of Gosport & Fareham.

But he will be better remembered as a referee - for both the RNRURS - for whom he was most outstanding organiser of annual dinners - and for Hampshire. He was still refereeing as recently as last season, having long mastered the art of minimum exertion, when he must have been over seventy.

He will be sadly missed as one of life's gentlemen and a huge servant of grass root rugby. For no reward but a thank-you.

Funeral details will be made known.

Tim Bailey
Hon Sec

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
i didn't know the gentleman you speak of, but it sounds like a great loss to rugby and all those who knew him. RIP the friend i never met, and love and thoughts to those who did.

Dave

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Thank Tim

I must have crossed paths with him when I was active with Hampshire, 1996-2000

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I had the honour of crossing paths with this gentleman briefly. A man of true presence.

Thoughts are with his family and the wider rugby community in Hants