[Law] pick and go prebinding

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I know there is some discussion in other threads - but I felt a dedicate thread was warranted...

I think the current accetance of a player picking and going at the back of a ruck, immediately having 2 players pre-bind and driving pretty much directly to the floor is both illegal and also creates really dull rugby to watch.

why is it allowed?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I know there is some discussion in other threads - but I felt a dedicate thread was warranted...

I think the current accetance of a player picking and going at the back of a ruck, immediately having 2 players pre-bind and driving pretty much directly to the floor is both illegal and also creates really dull rugby to watch.

why is it allowed?

dull maybe, but as long as team mates don't seal off the ball, why do you think it is illegal?

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

why is it allowed?

They aren't diving to the floor by choice. If there was no opposition they would run a break and keep going until stopped. They go to ground as they are tackled, and then usually create a winnable ruck.