[Ruck] Pick and Go

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Looks like a flying wedge to me.

...EDIT...changed my mind, it doesn't fit the description of a flying wedge.

"Team mates bind on each side of the ball carrier...often one or more of these team mates is in front of the ball carrier."

I think in the video they have been very careful not to match the description. They have one man bound to the side, then the other pushing them both from behind.

Last edited:

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Looks like a flying wedge to me.

...EDIT...changed my mind, it doesn't fit the description of a flying wedge.

"Team mates bind on each side of the ball carrier...often one or more of these team mates is in front of the ball carrier."

I think in the video they have been very careful not to match the description. They have one man bound to the side, then the other pushing them both from behind.

For what its worth, I was told by my ref coach that a pre-bind (pre contact ) by one team-mate is acceptable but if by two or more, then its dangerous (and/or flying-wedge) and should be penalised.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
For what its worth, I was told by my ref coach that a pre-bind (pre contact ) by one team-mate is acceptable but if by two or more, then its dangerous (and/or flying-wedge) and should be penalised.

I would tend to agree, but not sure I could back it up in law?

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I would tend to agree, but not sure I could back it up in law?

I've never had a problem. Although it happens rarely. It seems most players interpret the Flying Wedge definition the same way I do : 1 player binding is fine, 2nd player can only bind after contact.
Just shout "1 player pre-bind only! Flaying Wedge !" or some such phrase and nobody ever questioned it.
Hope this helps.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's not *flying* though, is it.

For me this is not what Law 9 has in mind, and so by default it's legal.

It is crying out for some immediate guidance and if the guidance is that it's illegal, or sometimes illegal, we need a Law change for the 2019 book

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It's not *flying* though, is it.

For me this is not what Law 9 has in mind, and so by default it's legal.

It is crying out for some immediate guidance and if the guidance is that it's illegal, or sometimes illegal, we need a Law change for the 2019 book

Guidance on what the current laws intentions are isn't a law change...its just guidance on how to apply the law.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
For me the problem with what Rocky is suggesting is that the ball carrier is not at the back of the ruck where the latcher and no8 are pre-bound. If he then picks the ball up, that is handling in the ruck for me. It is different if a player picke the ball up and moves forward and then gets some assistance.

Oh, and what about the defenders having a hand and a knee down?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Guidance on what the current laws intentions are isn't a law change...its just guidance on how to apply the law.

Sometimes it's a Law change disguised as guidance !
Eg Ruck ends when ball is exposed