plane of the goal-line

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hi tewdric.

The only time this is different . ( the law bit )
Is if a player making a mark from opponents kick , inside his own 22 with 1 foot other side of 22.
If this ball is caught .( before it crosses the 22 )
It is deemed to be caught inside his 22 & therefore he can now have a 22 drop out .
Hope that helps .
No....I'm afraid you're incorrect.
The 22 is treated the same as the goal line in this regard.

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I believe otherwise .
Ill take a further look in a while .

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
  • PRINCIPLE

A means of stopping play within a player’s own 22 by directly catching an opponent’s kick.
    mark-en.jpg
    CLAIMING A MARK

• To claim a mark, a player must:
    • playicon.png
    • Have at least one foot on or behind their own 22-metre line when catching the ball or when landing having caught it in the air; and
      playicon.png
    • Catch a ball that has reached the plane of the 22-metre line directly from an opponent’s kick before it touches the ground or another player; and
      playicon.png
    • Simultaneously call “mark”.
    playicon.png
  • A player may claim a mark even if the ball hits a goal post or crossbar before being caught.
    playicon.png
  • When a mark is called correctly, the referee immediately stops the game and awards a free-kick to the team in possession.
  • A mark may not be claimed from a kick-off or a restart kick after a score.RESTARTING PLAY AFTER A MARK

• The player who claimed the mark takes the free-kick (in accordance with Law 20).
  • If the player is unable to take the free-kick within one minute, a scrum is awarded to the team in possession.
  • The free-kick is taken at the following locations:
    Place of the markLocation of free-kick
    Within the 22At the place of the mark but at least five metres from the goal line, in line with the place of the mark.
    Within the in-goalOn the five-metre line in line with the place of the mark.
Hi decorily.
Yes you are correct .

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As I begin my journey it strikes me that being able to sensibly adjudicate the grey areas is a good skill to have, but I'll worry about getting the basics right first! :)

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
As I begin my journey it strikes me that being able to sensibly adjudicate the grey areas is a good skill to have, but I'll worry about getting the basics right first! :)
Well said....

Edit. Know the law....more importantly know what the players are trying to achieve.....and most importantly know when to ignore the laws.

Last edited:

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Also, most often you're chasing behind the ball and won't be able to see whether it's crossed the plane or not (it's harder to judge than the touchlin. And neither will most players, many of whom don't know the laws anyway :)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Also, most often you're chasing behind the ball and won't be able to see whether it's crossed the plane or not (it's harder to judge than the touchlin. And neither will most players, many of whom don't know the laws anyway :)

But on the other hand if you an AR you will often be excellently positioned to see the various planes and if you were an AR who didn't understand the importance of the plane, you would be a very poor AR indeed. At any level of game