[Law] Play on or red card situations

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I assume everyone saw the Kerevi-Halfpenny incident on the weekend and, whatever you think of the referee's decision, I don't think it's contentious to say his only options were to play on, or give a red card.

So, my question is: has anyone been in a position (and I realise it comes up more regularly when you have a TMO) where you've got a choice between playing on and giving a red card?

And if so, has the mandatory card 'encouraged' you to play on?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I don't think I've ever allowed mandatory card affect my call. But I'd not be aware of a subconsious pressure. Would I?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
presumably short of severe injury - maybe - you'd play advantage and deal with the RC at the next break in play?

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
just seen a clip of the incident.

I wold say that it was an attempt for a chrage down not just looking to take HP out.

But.

SW's comments in the bbc clip seem fair and reasonable - in the light of man-in-the-air incidents to compare with anyway. As in, you remain responsible for the results of your otherwise legal actions etc. In the light of clashes to the head etc that to not be card, and even not a PK is somewhat incredible.

messy.

didds

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
There seem to have been a number of incidence recently of charge down attempts connecting with the kicker.

9.25 includes the word "intentionally" - but 9.11 cover "reckless or dangerous to others".
In my opinion even if it does not fall under 9.25 it definitely falls under 9.11.

If we give the message that provided you look as if you might be attempting a charge down you can clatter the kicker and will not be penalised, then we will get an epidemic. I think it needs to be nipped in the bud now.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
presumably short of severe injury - maybe - you'd play advantage and deal with the RC at the next break in play?

didds

Didds, generally we would advise referees (grass roots) to not play advantage from a RC, but to stop the game fairly quickly and deal with the RC. There would be exceptions for advantage, but they are rare, eg late high tackle, but a scoring pass had been made. Try time and then RC.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Didds, generally we would advise referees (grass roots) to not play advantage from a RC, but to stop the game fairly quickly and deal with the RC. There would be exceptions for advantage, but they are rare, eg late high tackle, but a scoring pass had been made. Try time and then RC.

My question wasn't about that sort of situation - where an infringement has definitely been committed.

I was thinking about situations where you have to make a judgement about whether something is a penalty with a mandatory red card, or if it's no offence at all.

Personally I never liked giving out red cards (particularly for things that, IMO, don't deserve one) and whenever I did my thoughts were "f***, I've got no choice here" and I suspect that if I'd ever been in such a position, saying there was no offence would have been very attractive.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am not sure .. are you then risking players taking matters into their own hands ?

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
In my experience, you will get a feel for when something is red. It is not usually for a technical contact in the air type thing at our level. As I said, allow advantage rarely, eg when a scoring pass has been made or it looks likely that a try will be run in. I would almost always blow if there was a tackle unless there were more attacking players.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am not sure .. are you then risking players taking matters into their own hands ?

Possibly, yes.

In my experience, you will get a feel for when something is red. It is not usually for a technical contact in the air type thing at our level

Agreed - it's generally more of a gut reaction and I suspect this situation only really happens at the top level where you can look at replays.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
To play on after a "SHIT THAT'S RED" moment realy needs big judgement.

If a try is "two steps away" I'd go with it. A VERY LOUD call: " Penalty Advantage".

If we are talking a "This looks promising" position, then, at a minimum the same last call and plenty of double checking that there are no "afters".

However, if the game has been at all "tasty" . Then forget it, blow straight away.

If you are not sure blow anyway:

"Guys a big hit there. I did not get a clear view but I'd like Blue 6 checked out." or "Tackle was illegal but did not see clearly enough to escalate" (word as required") Separate the two sides. Whilst blue is "checked out" Call the captains over. "Guys, I was not sure about that tackle / whatever. I'm going PK / Scrum restart. Speak to your players. Whatever happend it ends here. Do we understand each other?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
With ARs TMOs and the rest you can afford to play on more. (even a word to thw AR: " John keep an eye on the aftermath of that we'll come back to it". Sort of thing.