Player diving on the ball (in open play). What can the opposition legally do?

kingsclererider

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
My question is this....
When a player dives open a ball in open play, what is the opposition permitted to do?
The laws state that the defender must not prevent a player from playing the ball.
The laws also state that someone who dives on a ball must play the ball immediately (but must be getting to their feet).
Thanks

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Go for the ball, do not go for the defender. You do not have to let them get up before you go for the ball.
The defender on the ground is under an obligation to act without delay (Penalty offence). The attacker is not permitted to tackle or flop onto the defender to prevent them playing the ball or getting up (Penalty offence).
As a referee I would be asking why the attacker could not gain possession from a player on the floor-this is a game for players on their feet, not those laying on the floor trying to kill the ball.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
My question is this....
When a player dives open a ball in open play, what is the opposition permitted to do?
The laws state that the defender must not prevent a player from playing the ball.
The laws also state that someone who dives on a ball must play the ball immediately (but must be getting to their feet).
Thanks
Stay on your feet and try and take the ball off him. This should yield you either the ball, or a PK