Player in front of kicker

Joe@trfc

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
This weekend I had a Red team player a long way in front of the kicker (it was a return kick)
He was jogging his way back to onside. The ball bounced about 15m in front of him and continued to bounce toward him. With his hands in the air he continued to jog back but the ball hit him and carried on down the pitch.

I said 'Play on' Blue fullback collected the ball but complained Red had touched the ball.

Was I wrong? Should it be a penalty even though I didn't think it had affected the play?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Ball hits red...."advantage".
Blue collects.......as long as red player doesn't use his position on the field to get an unfair advantage........"advantage over".

Don't blow unless you have to.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Ball hits red...."advantage".
Blue collects.......as long as red player doesn't use his position on the field to get an unfair advantage........"advantage over".
Don't blow unless you have to.
Fair point; but playing Devils Advocate for a minute, what would you do if Blue fluffed his kick - ie doesn't get an advantage?

In fairness to Blue, yes he did touch the ball but it wasn't deliberate, so would you give a PK / Scrum option for being offside in open play, or just a scrum at the place of infringement for accidental offside?

Personally I would give the accidental offside.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
ball bounced about 15m in front of him and continued to bounce toward him. With his hands in the air he continued to jog back but the ball hit him

Seems more like a PK than a scrum to me surely he could have dodged it.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Law 11.1 allows you to ignore such accidental contact unless it's interfered with the opponents fielding of the ball.

In theory his interaction could improve his opponents chances of getting possession , in which case let them do so.

Sounds to me like you got it spot on.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If a player is retiring, knowing he is in front of his kicker, I expect him to be aware of where the ball is. That would normally lead to Advantage for a penalty rather than for a scrum.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If a player is retiring, knowing he is in front of his kicker, I expect him to be aware of where the ball is. That would normally lead to Advantage for a penalty rather than for a scrum.

i agree, which means that if the defender catches it and kicks for touch, you should give the PK, so that they have the throw.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
the OP seems to suggest he had plenty of time to see its flight and ensure he didn't get touched. PK adv for stupidity if nothing else! [1] It must get close to being deliberate playing the ball such were his chances to get out of the way.

probably different if he was 5 metres in front head down as he sees the kicker shape up and the kicker manages to kick it into him. (This happened to me in my very first game ever!)

didds

[1] Law 27.