Player on the floor gets up

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
This from today.

Black player tackled, tackler released, rolled away. No jackler, no one else around, tackled player still lying on the floor, looks around then picks up the ball and goes through the gate. Speeds away heading for the line.....I whistle.........

I gave a penalty for playing the ball on the floor as "it didn't look right".

Thought about it on the way back and felt I probably got it wrong, as surely he had the right to do that.

comments please (preferably polite ones).

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
During the tackle, had he complied with his requirement of placing the ball after the tackle was made? If so, then I would say he first has to get up before playing the ball.

If he held onto the ball and there was still some motion as he was tackled and subsequently released by his tackler, I would say he can get up with the ball since he's not held in the tackle.

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
During the tackle, had he complied with his requirement of placing the ball after the tackle was made? If so, then I would say he first has to get up before playing the ball.

If he held onto the ball and there was still some motion as he was tackled and subsequently released by his tackler, I would say he can get up with the ball since he's not held in the tackle.

Yes he had placed the ball.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Even if he had placed the ball, he must get to his feet before playing it again.15.4 (b)

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Even if he had placed the ball, he must get to his feet before playing it again.15.4 (b)

This,

Your Judgement is then used to determine the sometimes 'slide rule' timings of 'when on feet is achieved v regathering ' ..... Proximity of opponents seeking fair possession might influence your thinking.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
This from today.

Black player tackled, tackler released, rolled away. No jackler, no one else around, tackled player still lying on the floor, looks around then picks up the ball and goes through the gate. Speeds away heading for the line.....I whistle.........

I gave a penalty for playing the ball on the floor as "it didn't look right".

Thought about it on the way back and felt I probably got it wrong, as surely he had the right to do that.

comments please (preferably polite ones).

As others have said, he must get to his feet first.

Not sure about your 'gate' comment. He doesn't need to go through any gate.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Who picked up the ball? The tackler or the tackled player? Why reference the gate? Were they on their feet when gathering ball?

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Who picked up the ball? The tackler or the tackled player? Why reference the gate? Were they on their feet when gathering ball?

The tackled player. He scooped up the ball from a lying down position and rose with it.......that is why it appeared so strange......

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes

I think it is tackled player who must get up in OP, so it is 15.5b correct?

15.5 The tackled player

(b)
A tackled player must immediately pass the ball or release it. That player must also get up or move away from it at once.
Sanction: Penalty kick

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

15.5 (b)

The tackled player
A tackled player must immediately pass the ball or release it. That player must also get up or move away from it at once.

Yep, well spotted.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

15.5 The tackled player

(b)

Probably fair to say that everyone needs to get to their feet