Player on the ground receives the ball

DomWish

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Attacking player still in the ground from earlier ruck. Ball comes out of next ruck and rolls backwards into him. Is this player allowed to pick the ball up and pass it while still on the ground?
Law 14 in the Definitions talks of going to ground with or to gather the ball. But 14.1 does not make this distinction it just describes a player on the ground with ball!!

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
The game is meant to be played by players on their feet. Let's promote that more often. He's off his feet, he's out of the game, he plays the ball, ping him.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
what happens if the ball is kicked by an opponent, and he can;t get out of the way and the ball hits him?

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
didds:286895 said:
what happens if the ball is kicked by an opponent, and he can;t get out of the way and the ball hits him?

didds

Play on.. I'd say..

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
This is the problem with 14.1. It presumes (or the 12 year old law maker presumes) that anybody on the ground with a ball MUST have taken it there or has gone there to get it. It would be the simplest thing in the world at a re-write to append "or plays the ball if already on the ground" - or some such. Bu the lawmakers choose not to add that - so why is that? maybe THEY feel in these circumstances it is legal?

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The game is meant to be played by players on their feet. Let's promote that more often. He's off his feet, he's out of the game, he plays the ball, ping him.

can a player on the ground in general play tackle an opponent?

can a player on the ground reach out to ground the ball in goal and score a try?

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Drift said:
In-goal is slightly different, I would probably allow it.

Or even in the immediate vicinity of? At the minute I think I would probably allow that too.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
what about a player on the ground but touch-in-goal reaching out to a ball in-goal...

didds

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
what about a player on the ground but touch-in-goal reaching out to a ball in-goal...

didds

That's fine as long as he doesn't try to pick the thing up.