Player Registration at all levels..

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
another massive change (in England) - player registrations to be mandatory at all levels.

I think this will be very difficult, in the merit tables at low levels players often play for more than one club - your club doesn't have a game (or it gets cancelled) and your mate's team is looking for a player...

Also - will it mean the end of lending a player to the oppo ? (somehing that is actively encouraged at low level games, in sussex teams are even rewarded for it)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
caveat: I haven't read the article yet.

and stuffs up the player that turns up to a club an hour before kick off with a pair of boots, because he moved to the area the night before. So instead of getting a game for the 4th XV [1] (OK, 2nd XV these days!) thatd ay, he gets to wait a couple of weeks or so for his paperwork to get sorted (unless its all doable online on the spot and immediate?)

didds
[1] which is how I made my debut for Shirley Wanderers RFC in 1984 ...

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
my son in last 12 months, looking for club
- went to mate's club and played a game (or two?) for them, didn't think it was club for him
- went down to local club played for 2XV in merit table and 1XV in leage (so has registered)
- and also has turned out for his uni old boys team

I don't think that's at all unusual

going forward would that mean registering for three clubs (if you are allowed to)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Theres a bit of history here too ISTR... whereby with the existing regs over registration, players at university could be registered with both a uni club (or a club in the town/city they were living in?) AND their home c;lub for RFU competitions (or something lire that?)

presumably this sort of allowance could stay?
I could see members of the armed forces and other genuinely quasi-itinerant workers could benefit/be incorporated into such arrangements

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I am gobsmacked that you don't already have player registration. How does insurance work without it? How do you stop stacking teams with higher graded players? How do you stop suspended players from playing?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am gobsmacked that you don't already have player registration. How does insurance work without it? How do you stop stacking teams with higher graded players? How do you stop suspended players from playing?
You have to be registered to play in the RFU leagues

But, typically

..not in Merit tables (competition organiser would set the rules). Merit tables are the smaller clubs and 2xv and below of larger clubs

.. and don't forget many clubs play a lot of friendlies

It's to encourage participation

The clubs insurance covers anyone playing for the club

Now a club may well register their players anyway to help track them but if they are scrabbling for numbers one week, and someone enlists a mate then there is no need to register the mate for a week

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
There's mandatory registration here for any official matches. It all depends on the system for loaning players out as to how flexible you can be. For example, in the community game it's mandatory to loan players to an opposition side with too few.

The only real issue is players arriving from abroad who sometimes have to wait a week between signing up and getting registered. Not a huge problem, in the scheme of things.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
There's mandatory registration here for any official matches. It all depends on the system for loaning players out as to how flexible you can be. For example, in the community game it's mandatory to loan players to an opposition side with too few.
But you can play unofficial matches without registration? That is what going to change in England, I think, yes this year, not next year

How does loaning work ? The player is now playing for a club for which he isn't registered

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Unofficial matches are unofficial, there's nothing recording who's playing what. I can take a ball to the park and play an unofficial match... I'm not sure where the dividing line would be. Obviously rugby in the Netherlands is a lot smaller and "less official" than the tier 1 countries anyway, though.

We have a completely digital system - if you have a match, the players are filled in for the match. Who they actually play for isn't tracked. The system's just been revamped, so I don't know all the ins and outs of playing for old teams etc, though.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
We have registration here too. I can't see the fuss.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
We have registration here too. I can't see the fuss.
so let's say Old Welsh Farts Vets arrange a friendly against Llanvalley RFC.

Old Farts ring around a couple of weeks before and bring a few players out of retirement to play
And also the club chairman decides he will bring along his mate Dai to play, who is actually registered to play for PwllDu FC who don't have a game that week

And on the day OWF RFC find they are only 13, and Llanvalley lend them two players

1 Would OW Fart go online earlier in the week and re-register the returning vets?
2 Would someone go online earlier in the week and register a temporary transfer for Dai (and would that OWF, or PwllDu who actually have to do that?)
3 On the day, does someone have to do the same for the two players lent by Lanvalley ? (who?)

If - as I suspect - none of those happen, then you don't have the sort of system RFU are bringing in which seems to involve certainly 1 and 2 (if not also 3)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Out here in Bush Footie, players register on a week to week basis...

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Unofficial matches are unofficial, there's nothing recording who's playing what. I can take a ball to the park and play an unofficial match... I'm not sure where the dividing line would be. Obviously rugby in the Netherlands is a lot smaller and "less official" than the tier 1 countries anyway, though.

We have a completely digital system - if you have a match, the players are filled in for the match. Who they actually play for isn't tracked. The system's just been revamped, so I don't know all the ins and outs of playing for old teams etc, though.
Unofficial games here don't get officially appointted / insured referees.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
You have to be registered to play in the RFU leagues

But, typically

..not in Merit tables (competition organiser would set the rules). Merit tables are the smaller clubs and 2xv and below of larger clubs
This may have chnged more recently but it wasnt so long ago you didnt need registration to play at level 8 (coiunty / non regional) and below.
WRT insurance the insurance the RFU holds covers everybody involcged in a match - all players, refs, coaches, "medics" [1].

[1] some cvaveats over doctors acting as such etc I believe

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I was invited to the discussion group in our region (Durham) around this the other week, as our rep was going to be asked to vote on this and wanted all the regions clubs' input (good) - except it was a farce, he didn't know what he would be voting on (we still don't know what was asked) and descended into a pretty unanimous 'this is a bad idea'.

I put forward a whole host of reasons to be wary of (2nd, 3rd XVS, Game on principles, Vets games etc where players just want a game and turn up or go elsewhere if their primary game is off) especially as it was unknown if non-league team players would be allowed to be affiliated to multiple clubs (it was clear they were going to enforce registration, but didn't mean they had to force you to one club). We get the regulation aspect, Fred Bloggs can't play for multiple teams in the league unless there's some sort of transfer process, but everyone felt that extra admin was not necessary, and we should be making it easier for players and clubs to get a game

Looks like our opinions haven't been heard :-(

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
My cynical view is that they want to be able to say that after the tackle laws came in, hey presto the number of registered players went up

(and therefore they will encourage multiple registrations ... And no need to link them all together, just create a new Joe Bloggs for each club he plays for)

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
My cynical view is that they want to be able to say that after the tackle laws came in, hey presto the number of registered players went up
Or, equally cynically, they want a full list of anyone related to the game to “share with our trusted partners for curated services tailored to your specific needs” - maybe it’s just about money?