Player Registration at all levels..

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
in reality neither OWF RFC not Llan Valley RFC will require a team sheet from eachother, so no one will ever know who was playing or whether they are registred (ie no change)

In the Merit Tables in London currently it's the same: no team sheets, no need for players to be registered. That's the level that is at risk going forward as I assume that RFU will require team sheets (although not clear who you give them to and who would want to check them?)

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
in reality neither OWF RFC not Llan Valley RFC will require a team sheet from eachother, so no one will ever know who was playing or whether they are registred (ie no change)

In the Merit Tables in London currently it's the same: no team sheets, no need for players to be registered. That's the level that is at risk going forward as I assume that RFU will require team sheets (although not clear who you give them to and who would want to check them?)

So this is one of the unknowns, there was talk that *all* fixtures would require an EMC (Electronic Match Card from GMS) to get accurate participation data, this is all outside of league regulations

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Or what actually happens is that players never ever deregister as players when the boots are "finally" hung up.
And in a few decades when the RFU claim they have 20 million adult players registered, they actually have 50% of those aged above 40, some in their 90s...
which is indeed a problem. A key way (in general) to stop this is to require payment -- and then you can be more confident people will de-register when they don't need it.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

Indeed. It potentially ends up being the ref I suppose (as if you guys havent enough to do already) - i cant recall what we had to do with team sheets ten years ago when i last coached senior 1st XV at level 7.

But that level 10 game behind the gasworks etc ... that may be a deregulated league, but if there's no society ref then it becomes a club ref probably form the home side ... so who is now responsible? A volunteer who may have reffed only so 36 others can have a game and has no clue as to competition regs and requirements?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
which is indeed a problem. A key way (in general) to stop this is to require payment -- and then you can be more confident people will de-register when they don't need it.
aye.
But then does that mean people have to pay when re-registering the morning of a game where they have been cajoled into coming out of retirement? Id be buggered if i was going to suddenly pay £100+ club subs to play one game. Alternatively VPs subs means one is already a paid up member of the club - so the payment is already in place anyway so why bother to de-register as my OP ?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Indeed. It potentially ends up being the ref I suppose 9as if you guys havent enough to do already) - i cant recall what we had to do with team sheets ten years ago when i last coached senior 1st XV at level 7.
But that level 10 game behind the gasworks etc ... that may be a deregulated elague, but if there's no society ref then it becomes a club ref probably form the home side ... so who is now responsible? A volunteer who may have reffed only so 36 others can have a game?
Refs don't check team sheets .. which are on line anyway.
I assume that in a higher up league game both clubs can see eachothers on line team sheet and challenge it

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
aye.
But then does that mean people have to pay when re-registering the morning of a game where they have been cajoled into coming out of retirement? Id be buggered if i was going to suddenly pay £100+ club subs to play one game. Alternatively VPs subs means one is already a paid up member of the club - so the payment is already in place anyway so why bother to de-register as my OP ?
In cycling our club membership is managed on the British Cycling system, to become a member costs (I think) £10 that goes to BC plus whatever fee the club wants to charge. For me It's just one payment, I become both a member of British Cycling in my own right, and a member of the club

mind you - I don't compete. For people competing there must presumably be rules about transfers/ multiple clubs etc etc etc. Although maybe not as people compete as individuals

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Yes. But that doesnt mean that when Bert gets phoned at 10am by Steve, skipper, of the Old Twatbaggians 4th XV asking him if he could come out of retirement to play, Bert still is unlikely to aquiesce if he then finds he has to cough a tenner to be registered, plus match fee for the privilege.
As it is I doubt rugby clubs follow a "RFU sub" + "club sub" model. So theer isnt some "lower level" of acceptable payment. it PROBABLTY club sub of £100+ for the year. And Bert is surely never going to pay £100+match fee for the privilege of playing post retirement.
And if bert is a VP, and has cougbhed his VP membership then hes paid his dues already so there's no point in him deregistering as a player - so we are back to the scenario of 20M players registered by 2050 manyof which are geriatric :)

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Registration is done online through Rugby Canada by individual players. If there are no referees available, then a "club ref" will be assigned. I assume the club will have to inform Rugby Quebec to ensure that person is trained, and to get them paid.
Paid??? 😏

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
As I understand it;

1) Yes
2) Yes - although we don't have Vets leagues round here, potentially could be dual reg to a Vets Team Club for Fridays and A.N.Other club for Saturdays
3) I wouldn't count on that, but I think this falls into the category of 'pragmatic sanctioning' because it's completely un policeable, and goes against the RFU 'Game On' principles :-(
Most of the Vets players I know struggle to play the next month, let alone the next day 😄

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's not good around here. I actually know the woman he's appointing to interact between the Feds and the Locals. Poisoned chalice.
sorry for hijacking the thread but if we think its bad now, wait til the cashless debit card is withdrawn in March. It'll get tasty then

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
What is a cashless debit card?

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I assume so. I have never been a club ref. I went from playing to being a society ref.

Club refs around here tend to be coaches or similar who’ve done the ref course, and may get paid a nominal fee but often ref for free. They have no development, often miss law updates and clarifications, and officiate with some very, erm, “idiosyncratic“ interpretations of the law. Fine for a friendly or if no other ref available but most teams want a ref who, at the least, is motivated to stay current on the law.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Club refs around here tend to be coaches or similar who’ve done the ref course, and may get paid a nominal fee but often ref for free. They have no development, often miss law updates and clarifications, and officiate with some very, erm, “idiosyncratic“ interpretations of the law. Fine for a friendly or if no other ref available but most teams want a ref who, at the least, is motivated to stay current on the law.
here a club ref is role, not a type of ref.
If my society appoint me on Saturday then I am a society ref
If on Sunday I go down to my local club and ref the U17s then I am a club-ref.

Same person.
Club ref is to do with who appointed you, not the level that you are.
I read the other day about Nigel Owens reffing an u13 game - on that day I imagine he would have been a club ref. (although it's possible that the WRU made it an official appointment, in which case he would have been a WRU ref)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What is a cashless debit card?
its a system whereby welfare payments are made to a specially issued debit card that can only be used for groceries, clothing, etc and not for the purchase of alcohol or gambling. It was introduced into a number of vulnerable (aka Aboriginal) communities years ago that were being ravaged by alcohol fuelled problems (DV, child abuse, street crime, etc).
The current Government views this system as racist & patriarchal so it is being eliminated in March 2023 and moving to "enhanced Income Management" (details not yet released).

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
here a club ref is role, not a type of ref.
If my society appoint me on Saturday then I am a society ref
If on Sunday I go down to my local club and ref the U17s then I am a club-ref.

Same person.
If & when you ref as a club-ref, do you wear your Society kit to show that you're a real ref (assuming quick laundry turnaround from Saturday), or is that not allowed as you are not Society appointed?

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If & when you ref as a club-ref, do you wear your Society kit to show that you're a real ref (assuming quick laundry turnaround from Saturday), or is that not allowed as you are not Society appointed?
Not allowed
(and would be dishonest as it would imply that the society had sent you)

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
The society can appoint you as a club ref. Then it is fine to wear the kit. We have many refs in our region like that and my club even had a ref that did our 4s every week in society gear and appointed by them on the system. Made their life easier as it was one less side to find a ref for but made the numbers look good

Edit: would say though. Not appointed on the system with the society then it is a big no no to wear the kit