Player Registration at all levels..

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The society can appoint you as a club ref.
no, if the society appoints you then , by definition, you become a society ref,

By appointing you the society is endorsing you as appropriate for the game and is accountable for your performance

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
If the society appoints you then , by definition, you become a society ref
Yeah I suppose that is true. Just our guy (RIP) never went on the circuit. Just did us. Don’t even think he did the monthly training. Probably only registered with the society to get the shirt. Don’t even think I ever saw him assessed. Top bloke though as he did get some stick from time to time

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yeah I suppose that is true. Just our guy (RIP) never went on the circuit. Just did us. Don’t even think he did the monthly training. Probably only registered with the society to get the shirt. Don’t even think I ever saw him assessed. Top bloke though as he did get some stick from time to time
So are you absolutely certain that the society was actually appointing him? In our society we wouldn't have a ref doing that.

Or did he have a shirt and wear it to make himself look better ?

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
So are you absolutely certain that the society was actually appointing him? In our society we wouldn't have a ref like that.

Or did he have a shirt and wear it to make himself look better ?
They were definitely appointing him. They do accommodate people who only want to do their own club. There are several who do their junior sides etc (U13…)

Thinking about it he was the personality who would have probably gone to society training. He was just happy to still be involved on the park at the club. Started off in his own shirt and then I actually remember the day he got his society shirt as he’d been waiting ages. He was very chuffed.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Not allowed
(and would be dishonest as it would imply that the society had sent you)

Indeed.

I have 3 lots of kit:-

• RFU which I wear as an appointed AR in the National Leagues.
  • Yorkshire Fed kit which I wear as an appointed referee to Federation L8-L6 games or maybe lower
  • South Yorkshire Kit which I would wear to Lower Level non League Games or non Federation kids games.

All the above are appointed by the respective bodies. I haven't acted as club ref for 18 years when I was coaching my lad's team. When I did I wore a referees' shirt from 1991 RWC - nobody mistook me for Ed Morrison.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I went to a club recently (appointed) to ref women and found another ref wearing a shirt from my society

I was quite surprised as I knew there were no other games appointed.

He was a dad at the club, and reffing their U17s , and, I established, a club appointment.

I remarked that he shouldn't be wearing his society kit then. He said "oh, I always wear it, it makes me look more independent"

Well, exactly. He was wearing it because it made it appear as if the society had sent him .. which it hadn't...

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I went to a club recently (appointed) to ref women and found another ref wearing a shirt from my society

He was a dad at the club, and reffing their U17s , and, I established, a club appointment.

I remarked that he shouldn't be wearing his society kit then. He said "oh, I always wear it, it makes me look more independent"

Well, exactly. He was wearing it because it made it appear as if the society had sent him .. which it hadn't...

Was he a Society member?
If so, your constitution doesn't forbid him from wearing it, in fact quite the opposite.
32. All classes of membership are entitled to purchase and wear the Society’s insignia.
There's nothing on your website, rules or constitution to prevent him from wearing it?

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

I see this regularly at age grade games, especially at school matches (admittedly I may be making assumptions here that the u12 ref was not appointed by the Society).

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Was he a Society member?
If so, your constitution doesn't forbid him from wearing it, in fact quite the opposite.

There's nothing on your website, rules or constitution to prevent him from wearing it?
He was, yes (well I assume, I didn't look him up)

I haven't searched the website, but it is made clear to us that we can wear society kit only on society appointments ..

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I see this regularly at age grade games, especially at school matches (admittedly I may be making assumptions here that the u12 ref was not appointed by the Society).
Yes it does happen, but it shouldn't

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In reverse, almost all my shirts are the Gilbert refs shirts, with no society logos on, bought by myself, I only have one society shirt (out of my own pocket), and the literal difference is a badge.

However, when I'm in club ref mode I'm likely to wear what I would normally to coach and then pull on an appropriately coloured (not the society one) shirt for the game. If I'm appointed (even to my club) then I will never wear anything that's club kit or colours

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
our kit is sponsored and as well as NOT wearing the kit if you are not appointed we also have the converse: when you ARE appointed to a game then you MUST wear the kit (as that's the promise we made to our sponsors).

(Obviously pragmatism - if you have a yellow one and a pink one, and the teams run out wearing Yellow v Pink then don't be stupid about it!)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
our kit is sponsored and as well as NOT wearing the kit if you are not appointed we also have the converse: when you ARE appointed to a game then you MUST wear the kit (as that's the promise we made to our sponsors).

(Obviously pragmatism - if you have a yellow one and a pink one, and the teams run out wearing Yellow v Pink then don't be stupid about it!)

The problem is all referees are volunteers and we are always short of referees, so forcing referees to do something is impossible (unless it affects safety). You can request referees to only wear the sponsors shirt, but you can't compel them to, unless you are prepared to expel them from the society.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not sure where you are going with that Phil 😕 ?

I've never encountered a society ref refusing on principle to wear the correct kit, and I don't imagine I ever will.. refs love stash.

If if ever happened it would be interesting to see what the society would do, would they continue to appoint him ? I have a feeling that if ref was refusing to wear the right shirt on principle... then he/she would be an eccentric person and there would very likely be other concerns about his refereeing . But it's rather hypothetical

What does happen is
Ref goes to a big tournament and is given lovely purple shirt with tournament logos and sponsors on. He really likes the shirt and wears it at subsequent games. Someone in the society notices and says.. hey we have committed to our sponsor to wear the sponsored kit, and the ref says "I never thought of that! Quite reasonable!" And wears the society shirt going forward

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

I've never encountered a society ref refusing on principle to wear the correct kit, and I don't imagine I ever will.. refs love stash.

If if ever happened it would be interesting to see what the society would do, would they continue to appoint him ? I have a feeling that if ref was refusing to wear the right shirt on principle... then he/she would be an eccentric person and there would very likely be other concerns about his refereeing . But it's rather hypothetical

What does happen is
Ref goes to a big tournament and is given lovely purple shirt with tournament logos and sponsors on. He really likes the shirt and wears it at subsequent games. Someone in the society notices and says.. hey we have committed to our sponsor to wear the sponsored kit, and the ref says "I never thought of that! Quite reasonable!" And wears the society shirt going forward

Every Society has referees who want to buck the trend. They might have panel shirts that they like to wear for Society games for instance.
The society then needs to make the decision on whether they can afford to lose them or not. Yes we can speak to them nicely, but can we afford to lose them if they ignore the advice?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well, I wonder what the panel would make of that. is this hypothetical or do you have actual experience of a panel ref insisting on wearing his RFU shirt to ref society games? It would seem a bit odd to me. I don't think it would go down well

Aside .. a famous ref, reffing a grass roots game for the society .. I imagine that would be the occasion where our sponsor really would feel upset if in the photos, he wasn't wearing the kit they had paid for !

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

What does happen is

No names no pack drill.

I have seen pictures of a Society referee in England doing a game in his neck of the woods dressed in Premiership Cup stash.

Closer to home we had a referee wear his new NLMOT shorts and socks to referee a Fed Game - he didn't do it again.
And by closer to home I don't mean me!!! :)

So no not hypothetical in some cases.

PhilE always wears the correct kit so the sponsor - Mike's Elevated Working Platforms and Barber Service - doesn't get upset.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
We have had mandatory registration since the early 90's. Nobody plays a rugby game here unless they are registered. There are no "unofficial" games. We are not permitted to referee unless we are appointed to the game. I don't think any referee in Quebec would do a game knowing there were unregistered players on the field.
Sorry , a bit late to this thread but how do you know there are unregistered players on the pitch?
In England, we have no sight of match cards anymore so have no Idea who is playing.
Een when we did, I don't know if the name on the card is the name of the player on the pitch.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Sorry , a bit late to this thread but how do you know there are unregistered players on the pitch?
In England, we have no sight of match cards anymore so have no Idea who is playing.
Een when we did, I don't know if the name on the card is the name of the player on the pitch.

We don't, and thankfully not our problem, I quite often ref the same lads in different club shirts in a season (not in league games really) and I wouldn't dream of making anything of it, most of the time everyone's just happy the game is on