Player Registration at all levels..

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Sorry , a bit late to this thread but how do you know there are unregistered players on the pitch?
In England, we have no sight of match cards anymore so have no Idea who is playing.
Een when we did, I don't know if the name on the card is the name of the player on the pitch.
We used to have cards but they disappeared years ago. Before the game I would have to collect and check the cards (did the picture on the card match the face in front of me) and then after the game ensure that only those names were on the game sheet. Game sheets are done online and it impossible to put a non-registered player on the game sheet. I no longer have to check. The penalties for playing an unregistered player (forfeiture of the game, points deductions and bans for the coach) seems to be keeping clubs honest.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Before the game I would have to collect and check the cards (did the picture on the card match the face in front of me) and then after the game ensure that only those names were on the game sheet.
that is extraordinary! - that refs were expected to do all that.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Same thing happened when I went on exchange to Spain, but a local ref did it for me.
Lots of countries do this.

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
So does that mean that every player has to have a mug shot done at the start of the season and have it placed on the corresponding GMS?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
We had something similar in Germany back in 1990-ish.
Bunch of cards with a photo, but they weren't updated every year - except possibly when moving clubs (?)
It was all a bit weak cos it was known some players would play without registration (mates visiting from overseas, people just joined the club etc) and clubs would use a card of somebody vaguely similar. There was no obvious deregisatrion system, or clear method for the union to check that registration cards were all up to date and valid.
When I left Germany in 1991, I have no doubt my card/registration was live for years afterwards

There was no registration I was aware of when I played in NZ (1992-93) and Aus (1988, 1993), Wales (1981-1984), or even England until I was coaching 1st XV seniors so ensured i was registered so i could cover a bench FR slot if needed (and even then strictly speaking only at level 7 and above). I guested in New Caledonia, Thailand, USA (1988-1991) and presumably there was no registrations needed. I toured in Italy so dunno what their domestic league etc requirements were (1990)

Last edited:

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So does that mean that every player has to have a mug shot done at the start of the season and have it placed on the corresponding GMS?
Pretty much. Getting new cards done every spring took a lot of time and effort on Rugby Quebec's part.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It was hardly "all that". It was 5 minutes during my pre game routine, and 5 minutes during my post game routine. I did the card checks at the same time as I did boot checks.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It was hardly "all that". It was 5 minutes during my pre game routine, and 5 minutes during my post game routine. I did the card checks at the same time as I did boot checks.
It seems a lot of work to me, matching every player to his photo, keeping count of photos and players . I suppose you get used to it

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
On our old system there was a box to tick for whether we'd checked the match cards against the players, yes/no. We were instructed to tick 'no' :D I presume a remnant of previous bureaucracies?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
so I became aware another downside of the society kit wearing -- reffing an age group game at the weekend, society appointed, wearing my kit, the oppo coaches I assumed I was, nevertheless, a home club ref.

I pointed out I was in society kit and they (of course) said 'yeah, that doesn't mean anything loads of club refs wear it'

it's the other side of the same coin.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I hope they soon noticed the difference.
🙂 But there isn't necessarily a difference to notice on terms of quality
These club refs wearing their society kit when not on duty will be society members. Indeed they could be a higher grade tham me .

Its a question of who has taken the decision to appoint you to that particular game

Last edited: