Player request at KO

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
Several kick offs during yesterday's L6 game. At everyone player kicked left, and I was positioned to the right of the kicker - all very standard.

After a conversion, fly half of team who will KO jogs over to me and says "I am kicking right, don't adjust your position or they will know, but don't get in the way!'

I did as I was told. Anyone have an issue with this?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think that's OK. I'd rather have that than be smacked by a ball in back of head.

BUT perhaps consider where you postion yourself. Can you routinely position yourself in such a way that he can always kick left/right without warning and you will be out of the way.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I always start about a pace behind so I'm never in front of it. Getting hit by the ball on kick off is very embarrassing!

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
no problem at all. if I see the kicking side whispering and looking around I will automatically assume they are up to something and get either further away from the kicker or behind as robbie suggests. often times I will say, "I won't tip your hand but which way are you going?"

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I generally recommend starting slightly behind the kicker and running up with him so that (a) you are never in the way, and (b) you are already moving as he kicks and can thus get upfield faster than from a standing start.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
As part of pre-match I always tell the person who takes the kick-off/re-starts that I'll always assume they'll kick toward their pack & that if they change their mind to let me know as I'll hold my run.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I generally recommend starting slightly behind the kicker and running up with him so that (a) you are never in the way, and (b) you are already moving as he kicks and can thus get upfield faster than from a standing start.

that's what I do.

but why not stand amongst the receivers, so that you are closer to where it lands? I have never done this, because it's never done. But it does seem logical.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
because assessors will write that you're fat, lazy and slow if you do that.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Perfectly happy to be asked something like that. Worst one was when a stand off decided to nutmeg me at 7s!

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Why can't more players be like that. Fair request to make and obvious that he as actually thinking about all aspects of what he wanted to do.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
how would you know who the receivers are to be?

you'd look a chump if you stood amongst the oppo forwarsd on one touchline and the KO went the other way a la 1995 ABs?

didds

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Several kick offs during yesterday's L6 game. At everyone player kicked left, and I was positioned to the right of the kicker - all very standard.

After a conversion, fly half of team who will KO jogs over to me and says "I am kicking right, don't adjust your position or they will know, but don't get in the way!'

I did as I was told. Anyone have an issue with this?

why should anyone have an issue - good preventative management by the kicking fly half. And you should be slightly behind him anyway.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

I find that answer quite unsatisfactory. It's like answering "why do you use ATP protocol?" with "because I was told to."

In reality, the ref position at restart is dictated by tradition. We do it this way because we have always done it this way - no other reason. Basically, it looks good at the expense of positioning the referee in the most sensible position (as near as possible to the next breakdown).

But, hey, why do the Grenadiers wear bearskin hats and clowns wear oversize shoes? All part of the show.

I wonder if assessors consider ARs "fat, lazy and slow" who don't start on the halfway line?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
how would you know who the receivers are to be?

you'd look a chump if you stood amongst the oppo forwarsd on one touchline and the KO went the other way a la 1995 ABs?

didds

midfield and halfway between receiver's 10 metre line and 22 would make sense

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
And so will the players.

really? you think that the players will notice where you start from?

(i'm not talking about the renegade that does it, i'm thinking if it were uncommon)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Referees don't stay behind the kicker for a 22m dropout

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Referees don't stay behind the kicker for a 22m dropout
Well, I do...
For the same reasons as at KO/re-start:
- it looks good
- it's the "tradition"
- You can see how the kick is taken (position from the line, proper DK,...)
- you can see who's on-side and who's not
- on a deep kick, you can keep an eye on both the runners (kicking side) and players standing in front on the receiver

I would add, I find it even more important on a 22 drop out as there are so many tricks to play (a cheeky DK for himself or for a player 2 metres away for example)...

Just my 2 cents.
Pierre.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
And for some..it's true..and some don't care to be climbing the appointments ladder and are happy to save running that extra 10-20m so that they're first at the first breakdown!
In reality, the ref position at restart is dictated by tradition. We do it this way because we have always done it this way - no other reason.
Is it??
midfield and halfway between receiver's 10 metre line and 22 would make sense

I would think that being there you would be in a position to be accidentally smashed into by a player; as they will be looking up at the ball and not watching where you are? You could be in the firing line?

And of course being level with the kicker allows you to more easily spot those players in front, and well as running towards the receivers you can better see their actions without the need to look at the ball. I also saw it as the most effective way to be on your toes to best position yourself for either the first breakdown at the receipt of the ball or where the counter attack will likely proceed/end?

It made sense to me, without needing to question why it was the preferred way...despite begrudgingly at times having to run the extra yards to be at the first breakdown!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

no we wouldn't write that, more like :

"John adopted some unusual postions at the restarts and in doing so missed first offences at 1/26 (#7 red pulling back chasing player off the ball), 1/35 (#6 blue two yards ahead of kicker) & 2/23 (change of kick direction left him 40 yards away from the catch and subsequent tackle). Combined with his late arrival and static positioning at the breakdowns, and not being up with play to see the disputed red try grounding at 2/35 when the score was 21-18 to blue, he should address his fitness levels urgently. Matches at lower levels, and at slower pace are recommended to ensure John addresses these development issues."