Level 2
Couldn't get more appalling than that!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Definitely looks like a case of the "red mist", and deserves a lengthy ban.

That was very dangerous, with potential for a head/neck injury through whiplash.

In rugby the referee is dynamic and sometimes collisions occur because players and the referee lose sight or sense of where they are. In American Football, however, the Back Judge stands deep behind the defensive secondary, right in the middle of the field. Its a static position that he is always in at the snap. All players, at least the defensive backfield, know exactly where he will be and there is simply no excuse for running into him

No official should need to be aware of bring pole-axed like that.

Last edited:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
any possibility of criminal charges?

regardless, that should be a lifetime ban. from any sport.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Re : Re: Players assault ref

There has been a suggestion that the official in question was making racist comments. So I guess we have months of looking forward to one side closing its ranks and being lying sods.

Definitely looks like a case of the "red mist", and deserves a lengthy ban.

That was very dangerous, with potential for a head/neck injury through whiplash.

In rugby the referee is dynamic and sometimes collisions occur because players and the referee lose sight or sense of where they are. In American Football, however, the Back Judge stands deep behind the defensive secondary, right in the middle of the field. Its a static position that he is always in at the snap. All players, at least the defensive backfield, know exactly where he will be and there is simply no excuse for running into him

No official should need to be aware of bring pole-axed like that.

Ah, on a point of pedantry, that's the umpire they were hitting. Back judges always line up deeper than the deepest safety, and he would also have been the guy to have his mate's back on this play.

itin

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Re: Re : Re: Players assault ref

There has been a suggestion that the official in question was making racist comments. So I guess we have months of looking forward to one side closing its ranks and being lying sods.

Well in that case the premeditated actions of those two darling young men seem completely within reason.:sarc:

itin

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
[h=1]Austin official blindsided by two SA Jay football players[/h]
Interesting update. Apparently the officials misidentified and ejected a player who wasn't involved in the incident. On the very next play, the player who escaped ejection, hit the quarterback of the opposing team after he had taken a knee to run out the clock.

It is a bit of a stretch for me to believe that the coaches of John Jay (and with it being Texas football there must have been several) completely missed the incident in question and allowed one of the responsible players to remain on the field.

Makes me think of a game where there was an altercation away from the ruck. Because it was away from my view and I had no ARs I could only give a scrum to the attacking team. The coach of the home team asked for time came on to the field and removed his player involved in the incident and sent him packing. On video after, away from the ball the home player had picked up and driven the visiting player into the ground, which, had I been witness to, I would have carded. The home coach could have played on with his starter on the field but chose to take immediate disciplinary action against his player. (Perhaps saving his team from being down a player in the event I witnessed the home player offending like that again later.)

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Re: Re : Re: Players assault ref

Ah, on a point of pedantry, that's the umpire they were hitting. Back judges always line up deeper than the deepest safety, and he would also have been the guy to have his mate's back on this play.

I stand corrected. It wasn't very clear on the tiny clip, but looking again I can see right at the start, a glimpse of the Back Judge in the defensive end zone. However, my other point stands. The Umpire is also in a static position at the snap and a long way behind the line of scrimmage. There is no excuse for running into him.