Playing the ball after a clear out

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Something I've seen enough recently to think it's a change since I hung up my whistle:

There is a tackle, player 1, from the team not in possession attempts to jackal, an opponent (player 2) successfully cleans that player out (and both usually end up on the ground), a second player from the team not in possession (player 3) attempts another jackal.

I'd always considered this a penalty against player 3 - the ruck is formed when player 2 enters, and even if players 1 and 2 end up on the ground, the ruck isn't over - but that doesn't seem to be the way it's being refereed.

Thanks

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If the ball is lying in the open with no one on their feet near to it; then if someone picks it up (from an onside position) I am calling play on.

If two of them try to pick it up from either side, then its hands off.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
The ruck may not be over, certainly for off-side lines, but by then the ball carrier really ought to have carried out his requirement and not be holding on to the ball. Player 3 has no-one to either bind on to or to bind on to him, so is effectively exercising the scrum half's 'right' to the ball.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The top referees use the term "dead ruck". No basis in law, but it lets the game flow.