Pre- game nutrition

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This one hasn't been updated in a while so...

Anyone have any specific plans they like to follow? Always eat the same thing or like to mix it up a bit? Food choices the day before?

I start the game day with a black coffee with butter/coconut oil before breakfast mid morning!

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sure the experts will tell me I'm wrong but I tend to follow;

First thing water or juice and a coffee
Toast after an hour or so
Fruit a while later

Depending on KO time but I eat beans or poached egg on toast 90-100 mins before KO (any earlier and I'm hungry by half time)

But the main thinkg for me is lots of fluids

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This is probably all wrong, but it works for me.

Coffee and toast when I get up.
Cereal bar mid morning.
Energy drink and chicken with pasta about 1100 to 1130.
Hydration drink and energy or cereal bar on the way to the game.
Another drink and maybe some Lucozade jelly beans while warming up.
Energy gel sachet just before kick off.
Keep hydrating through the game with another energy gel sachet at half time. Maybe a red bull shot at half time as well if I feel the need?
Protein shake after the game.
Curry and a pint of Guinness.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
I used to eat fairly normally on match days as a ref BUT I avoided bulky lunches and over-doing the fluids (always seemed to want the toilet just before the game and at half-time; very disruptive). A drink at half-time was always appreciated but only about half a cup or it felt like it was swilling about inside me.

I didn't need elite athlete nutrition because I am not an elite athlete. I am happy to concede if you think it makes a difference then indulge by all means but I suspect it is as much psychological as physiological-you think it will improve things so it does.

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Played my best game ever when removed from VP's pre match lunch to fill in for a no show. So I am now insist on a steak and kidney pie, mashed potatoes, greens and gravey, plus a glass on red before I referee. Not sure it helps physically , and Mrs O not always happy to be cooking on a Saturday but who cares?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I used to eat fairly normally on match days as a ref BUT I avoided bulky lunches and over-doing the fluids (always seemed to want the toilet just before the game and at half-time; very disruptive).

Ditto - I think it's a combination of fluid and being 50.

I used to hydrate (to excess) well then found I was having to stop for a Crosby, Stills and Nash every 20 minutes on the way to the game - ok in the sticks but not good when you're in the middle of Leeds

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Nothing but strong black coffee.
Gatorade when 30 minutes out from destination.

Check blood sugar and take insulin as necessary. Some combination of glucose and longer acting energy source.

Check blood sugar at half time and repeat as necessary. Some more gatorade

I cannot abide running feeling I have anything in my stomach - really uncomfortable

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I don;t think its about elite althlete style preperation... its just about making sure your body is prepared for the 80 minutes endurance excercise with anaerobic efforts within that.

Granted you could swap the "energy drink" and "energy bars" with more homely substitutes but they are still fundamentally the same thing - some CHs of differing measures of GI. Ditto the energy gel - it COULD be a jam sandwich, or malt loaf (I fuelled on malt loaf on the bike in my half ironman days). But same same but different.

didds

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Most people that do coffee and MCT or fat are usually fans of the bullet proof diet.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/mycotoxins-in-america/

MCT??

Wikipedia is no help:-

Maksutov–Cassegrain telescope

Medium-chain triglycerides,

Marine Current Turbines

Microsoft Certified Trainer

Monetary Circuit Theory

Multi-cable transit,

Miss Chinese Toronto.

I hope it's the last one!:bday:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Isn't coffee a diuretic?
Not the best thing to have before a game.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
If you're properly hydrated a couple of hundred mg of caffeine ain't gonna be noticeable. I'd personally pop a 200mg pill instead of drinking the coffee but I imagine p92 has a protocol that works for him in terms of calorie ingestion.

Isn't coffee a diuretic?

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Most people that do coffee and MCT or fat are usually fans of the bullet proof diet.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/mycotoxins-in-america/

That's about the only link I hadn't read on that page!! Nice one thanks for that, interesting. In terms of mycotoxins I'm not overly concerned about them myself as the main principle for following the Bulletproof guidance, although I do go along with following along the same kind of path.

I eat a lot of fats which is a bit strange to get used to initially, but fine once you've done it for a week. Never felt like I've had more energy than following this new nutrition plan.

With regards to coffee intake I make sure most days it is just 1 cup, organic/toxin free where possible, and single origin. And the butter is only high quality stuff too, tastes fantastic!

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Isn't coffee a diuretic?

Net fluid intake is enough in a cup to counteract the slight diuretic effect if caffeine, as below it isn't really noticeable from one cup of coffee