Pre match chat

medavidcook

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Hey, was wondering what things do we need to ensure are covered off before the game in the chat

Want to make sure I got everything right

Thanks

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The chat and the stud check are different. Most do studs, then ask the FRs, #9's and perhaps #10s to stay behind for the chat.

The only absolute is to tell the front rows how you will manage the engagement sequence. After that, I think the #9's find it useful to know that you expect a feed down the middle, and that if they want to tap and go at a PK they should do it from behind the mark, and within about 1m. Remind them that you may be focusing on other things, and that if so they'll be called back to have another go. Equally, if they have to dig the ball out of a ruck, you'll protect them until the ball is off the deck, but then they're fair game.

#10 - all I need from you is to manage the offside at scrums and lineout. At lineout, I'll try to give you a raised arm to keep you back, dropping it when you can come forward. But it's your responsibility to keep them all back until the lineout is over. I can't help you at scrums - I need you to keep them back 5m until the ball is out - especially if you lose the hook against the head.

Questions?

medavidcook

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Awesome cheers Dixie, that's pretty much the way I set it out just wanted to know other ppls views

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Awesome cheers Dixie, that's pretty much the way I set it out just wanted to know other ppls views

I also usually ask them all to try to stay on their feet at b/d and if I ask them to get inside I am expecting to see movement back or I'm thinking penalty. Also a good idea to tell them all that U only want to hear from capt and only at downtime.

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Agree with all the above. And I try and make it as quick and concise as possible, 30 sec max 'chunks' for each of FR, 9, 10. For FR, I usually do the lineout chat at the first lineout. If U19, I include the No8 to remind them that they mustn't hold the ball at their feet (pick and go or 9 take asap). At the end of each chunk ask if they have questions. Then the captain only for more general stuff like breakdown, discipline, chat. We may be keen to impart all this, and want/expect them to concentrate on these gems of wisdom, but for most of the players this is just noise interfering with their match focus, so I try and keep to the minimum key points.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
just noise interfering with their match focus

This is the main reason I tell them not to talk/appeal etc to me as it affects my match focus!

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
This is mine.

Studs
FR - Engagement is Crouch bind set. Need you nice and close to interlock on the crouch, I mark the defensive line in the lineout.

Thats it. no more.

I have yet to hear a ref say.
I dont mind if the breakdowns are a mess
Lots of chat today fellas
Dont bother with going through the captain.
staying on your feet is optional.
10 dont bother with keeping back at lineouts
9 just tap from behind my back if you want.
etc etc etc.

Say any more than you have to and you are wasting your breath.

And yes it can be used at any levels. Use it at 5 and used it at the weekend for a level 9 game.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
From Dixie: " Equally, if they have to dig the ball out of a ruck, you'll protect them until the ball is off the deck, but then they're fair game."

Don't wish to start a fight, but .......

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
but what????

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
But: "ball is off the deck" isn't law.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The chat and the stud check are different. Most do studs, then ask the FRs, #9's and perhaps #10s to stay behind for the chat.

The only absolute is to tell the front rows how you will manage the engagement sequence. After that, I think the #9's find it useful to know that you expect a feed down the middle, and that if they want to tap and go at a PK they should do it from behind the mark, and within about 1m. Remind them that you may be focusing on other things, and that if so they'll be called back to have another go. Equally, if they have to dig the ball out of a ruck, you'll protect them until the ball is off the deck, but then they're fair game.

#10 - all I need from you is to manage the offside at scrums and lineout. At lineout, I'll try to give you a raised arm to keep you back, dropping it when you can come forward. But it's your responsibility to keep them all back until the lineout is over. I can't help you at scrums - I need you to keep them back 5m until the ball is out - especially if you lose the hook against the head.

Questions?
Yep, why do you seemingly chat to everyone?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Seems fairly clear to me.......and all the teams I have reffe'd so far this season.
No mystery I am aware of?

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I wouldn't start by calling the FR studs but That's about the same length as mine (apart from the LO bit).
This is mine.

Studs
FR - Engagement is Crouch bind set. Need you nice and close to interlock on the crouch, I mark the defensive line in the lineout.

Thats it. no more.

I have yet to hear a ref say.
I dont mind if the breakdowns are a mess
Lots of chat today fellas
Dont bother with going through the captain.
staying on your feet is optional.
10 dont bother with keeping back at lineouts
9 just tap from behind my back if you want.
etc etc etc.

Say any more than you have to and you are wasting your breath.

And yes it can be used at any levels. Use it at 5 and used it at the weekend for a level 9 game.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
it's not a clarification : it's a Law Application Guideline - so more like an instruction

Sorry, my mistake.
In IRB Land, Law Application Guideline is like getting your new appliance home from the store and finding the instruction manual is only printed in Japanese.

This particular LAG will cause all sorts of problems when some TV commentator stumbles onto it.