Pre-Printed Match Scorecards

willh

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Hi All

I’ve taken on organising kit for the North Mids Referees society, and one item which came up as a request was for pre-printed match scorecards - A6 size, to fit the widely available wallets that hold yellow/red cards and a (borrowed) Ikea pencil.

As I’ve had a box load printed, I thought it might be worth promoting more widely than just the one society.

So if you’re interested, you can buy a pack of 50 or 100 here:

https://shop.refereeskit.com/collections/accessories/products/match-scorecards-for-rugby-referees

Any feedback welcome.

Cheers

Will

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
First of all, welcome to the forums. Also, the scorecards are decent enough for most games, but you did ask for feedback.

For reference, I use A7 format, with team and captain's name noted at the top along with who kicked off at what minute of real time (so typically :02 or :31 or similar). Below that I usually only list scores, for example a try in the middle of the 7th minute would be 5_6'30_ (_subscript_) in a column to the left, first and third quarters as it were, and then a + for a successful conversion.

So by far the biggest problem with your scorecard is that of the space allocated for scores and yellow/red cards, only 20% is available for tries and conversions - the same amount as for drop goals and penalty tries. I also count 18 rows, and that is excluding the image/link at the bottom. With my handwriting in 5 degrees centrigrade, using an Ikea pencil, I'm writing at about twice that "font size", leaving the 2nd and 4th columns for overflow, and potentially other notations such as cards and blood bins (and the timing thereof).

That said, for such a management-oriented card, remove the empty box above "Home Subs" and replace it with "Blood bin ^" (where ^implies filling in upwards from the "M" level). Users can easily enough use PT and DG rows for games with one side scoring more than a handful of tries, and presumably in the realm of cricket scores there are fewer YC/RC too.

willh

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Thanks for feedback. Any chance you could post a picture of the card you use? A7 seems very small?

I’ve been using this format for a couple of years and have never run out of space / etc, but that doesn’t mean it’s perfect!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
We use this guy, and the product is great

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I use a small notebook , which I guess is A7
Left hand page for cards and subs
Right hand page for scores
I have never really got on with any pre printed card.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I use a card based on scorecards posted on this site. I like to have a running total on my sheet but understand other do not.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I use a card based on scorecards posted on this site. I like to have a running total on my sheet but understand other do not.

Yes, the old running total debate !
I don't think it's a good idea as if you make an arithmetical mistake once it endures for rest of game ..

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I guess that depends on your arithmetical skills.

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Hi All

I’ve taken on organising kit for the North Mids Referees society, and one item which came up as a request was for pre-printed match scorecards - A6 size, to fit the widely available wallets that hold yellow/red cards and a (borrowed) Ikea pencil.

As I’ve had a box load printed, I thought it might be worth promoting more widely than just the one society.

So if you’re interested, you can buy a pack of 50 or 100 here:

https://shop.refereeskit.com/collections/accessories/products/match-scorecards-for-rugby-referees

Any feedback welcome.

Cheers

Will

Thanks for that link - been looking for extra pairs of those Gilbert Shorts for ages!

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I use a note book, I find scorecards too small and it would no doubt lead to a bit of stick if I put my reading glasses on every time I needed to make notes

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I use a note book, I find scorecards too small and it would no doubt lead to a bit of stick if I put my reading glasses on every time I needed to make notes

so how does your seeing eye dog go with adjudicating the breakdown? :grin: :wink:

Just joking....I'll get me coat

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes

'Glasses' -plural? rumour has it you only need a monocle -but it has to be a really big one :chin:.