Pre-Season Training

Constantine

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm really struggling for motivation, doesn't help that I'm so tired all the time. Still getting occasional stabby chest pains when I run. Work with trainer is going good, gained a whole kilo, but still very unfit.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Last week gone (a really hot one with 6 days straight over 35 degrees)

Monday - weights
Tuesday - ref training started with 5km run (in 39 degrees, so im happy with 24min 50 sec) + light core work
Wednesday - rest (too hot)
Thursday - weight (am), ref training with shuttles and games of touch (1 hour in PM)
Friday - weights
Saturday - 18 holes of golf
Sunday - rest

Diet plan still on track and weight stabilised at 72kg.

Will ease back now on cardio and weights as have 7s tournament this weekend (forecast is for 35 degrees....ouch!)

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Starting weight - 85.9kg (22/1/13)
Todays weight - Not weighed myself as no access to scales

Last week:
Saturday - mowing the lawn (good core work as my land is pretty bumpy)
Sunday - gym session - 50min, cardio and core
Monday - 4km hill run with the club then heavy ropes work (bicep curls like the Biggest Loser) and 100 thruster squats with 25kg
Tuesday - rest with walk
Wednesday - gym session and a game of touch with the rugby boys
Thursday - kettle bell session with Easts, ouch my muscles!
Friday - Walk recovery and breif gym session with work trainer then T/20 cricket in arvo
Saturday - Rest day (as feeling absolutely shocking and it was a stinker) with some gardening
Sunday - Another Rest day as still under the weather
Monday - 50min gym session, cardio and uppper body

Plan for the week:
Tuesday - Walk - but maybe gym
Wednesday - Gym and touch game
Thursday - club training
Friday - Gym
Saturday - maybe a run, going away for first wedding anniversary
Sunday - Rest Day
Monday - 1st Wedding Anniversary - not much planned.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Starting weight - 85.9kg (22/1/13)

Saturday - maybe a run, going away for first wedding anniversary
Sunday - Rest Day
Monday - 1st Wedding Anniversary - not much planned.

So the cardio training was really for this...not refereeing. :pepper: I get it....so to speak!

Constantine

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
WARGH, so much effort to put on weight, one stressful week at work and it's all gone again. You can see my heart beat through my chest - not just a thud, but actual movement of the blood through the ventricles.

Waiting on dietician appointment.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Managed to get up to my parents to use their scales (been using them for 8 years so have good consistency of measurement)

Previous weight 85.2 (15/1/2013)
Todays weight 84.2 (4/2/2013)

Last edited:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Finally got around to buying some proper runners last Friday and have ran 7km per day since then (except one day off because of soreness). Foolish of me to go straight to 7km runs, because I've literally done no physical activity since early December. Now my shin splints are back -sigh-. Hoping ice and a rest day here and there will do the trick...

In better news, all this running has motivated me to clean up my diet. I've cut out chips (or crisps, for our European friends), chocolates, lollies, soft drink, fast food (except the occasional subway - the best of some very bad options) and practically anything which is high in calories or bad fats. Snacks have been replaced with fruit, and I must say I'm feeling more energetic and healthier already. I know it's all probably a mental thing, but I'll take it!

Touch footy starts up Feb 17 so that'll help me get back in the swing of things with reffing, before league comes back on March 7. Very keen for league!

Best of luck with the preseason training, gents!

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Update: Tonight's jog ended with me calling 000 after over-hearing a woman yelling and smashing stuff inside a house for several minutes.

Feeling like I've done a good deed!

My high breathing rate from just finishing jogging had the 000-operator thinking I was the one in trouble for a moment.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Pretty slack past week for me...

Monday - Grit class
Tuesday - ref training but slight niggle to quad so pulled up early not to aggravate it. (RICE afterwards)
Wed - fri - rest
Sat - 7s tourney in 38degrees...only 2 games as I had reaggravated the quad in warm up (bugger! crap, shit, f@ck!)

So now it's rest rest rest for a week or 2 to heal properly before preseason.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Mixed bag this week, weight up by half a kilo (probably related to the weekend away and excellent food that they served and no "proper" exercise (take that to mean whatever you want Mr menace!)). On the up side managed to run the 2.4km yesterday in warm conditions in 14:08 - which probably would have been 14 flat if I didn't have to dodge a car halfway through - a minute faster than a month ago but was pretty shattered after. Then tried to do a gym session today and failed, no endurance, couldn't breath properly and generally felt like sh*t but was able to do the weight & reps I was after. Am feeling reasonably run down and am wondering if its time to chat to someone about my diet, as I think I'm eating sensibly, but I'm probably taking it a bit far with calorie restrictions.

All I can think is bring on the season so I can see if this effort has paid off!

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Weight down again to 84.5kg, good considering the lack of training this week because of a few factors.
Thursday - Club Training - love your tyre night, push ups & situps x50/50/40/40/30/30/20/20/10/10, then sprints carrying them over our head, then tossing the tyres 500m, run 400m and finished with 100squats with the tyres. Shirt now black.
Friday - gentle stroll through the Prison (for work, not as a semi-permanent resident!) and a bit of a walk
Sat/Sun - working all day both days, shortish walks but nothing else really
Monday - Club training - 5xBurpee,10xSUp,15xSquats, 10reps then 400m effort run. 2.0km rising interval run. 3xPUp,6xGrasshopper,9xLunge, 10 reps then 400m run.
Tuesday - training @ work so no lunch time gym and pissing down now so no outside run.

This week coming, Run/Gym tomorrow, Club Thursday, Run Fri, Rest Sat, Gym Sun, Club Mon.

Does anyone have a good sprints/leg speed session guide? I've lost my acceleration over the summer and want it back.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Weight down again to 84.5kg, good considering the lack of training this week because of a few factors.
Thursday - Club Training - love your tyre night, push ups & situps x50/50/40/40/30/30/20/20/10/10, then sprints carrying them over our head, then tossing the tyres 500m, run 400m and finished with 100squats with the tyres. Shirt now black.
Friday - gentle stroll through the Prison (for work, not as a semi-permanent resident!) and a bit of a walk
Monday - Club training - 5xBurpee,10xSUp,15xSquats, 10reps then 400m effort run. 2.0km rising interval run. 3xPUp,6xGrasshopper,9xLunge, 10 reps then 400m run.
Tuesday - training @ work so no lunch time gym and pissing down now so no outside run.

This week coming, Run/Gym tomorrow, Club Thursday, Run Fri, Rest Sat, Gym Sun, Club Mon.

Does anyone have a good sprints/leg speed session guide? I've lost my acceleration over the summer and want it back.

Just take whatever Lance Armstrong was taking ;) Works a treat.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

I would recommend a barbell lifting program to get faster, something like 'starting strength' or 'stronglifts' is a good place to start if you are a beginner.

Also here are some sessions I got from my coach a couple of years go.
View attachment Acceleration-Speed-Conditioning.doc

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thanks Drift, have also passed onto to another ref mate of mine with the same complaint.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
My association trains every Tuesday and Thursday. I headed over there on Tuesday and expected it to just be a bit of a run around. Turns out they've enlisted a personal trainer to run the session - was a fair workout!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
We are quite lucky, that our top referee is also a qualified trainer and runs our training sessions, and so every training session is more than a fair workout and tailored very much to what we do as a rugby referee!

Constantine

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
!!! I head to Melbourne tomorrow and I am SUPER excited. I'll be there till next Friday, so if anyone wants to meet up and run sprints (and/or drink beer) please message me, because although my mum said to never meet strangers off the internet, what does she know?

I'm probably going to go to the Crusaders vs Rebels game too.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
!!! I head to Melbourne tomorrow and I am SUPER excited. I'll be there till next Friday, so if anyone wants to meet up and run sprints (and/or drink beer) please message me, because although my mum said to never meet strangers off the internet, what does she know?

One more kiwi in Melbourne - you'll feel like you never left home.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Our monthly meeting is on Wednesday if you are keen. It's at a pub as that is how we roll in Melbourne.

Constantine

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
That sounds excellent. I mean, I was probably going to be at a pub anyways, so this is a bonus.