Pretty sure but.........

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Blue kicks long today from around half way. It is touched in flight by black (very lightly). Ball goes into in goal where it is picked up by Black who probably hasn't seen the touch from his angle (although I did shout out "touched in flight". He dabs the ball down in goal. So I think, it was put into goal by Black (from the touched in flight) and is therefore a scrum 5. Can't believe the looks I got. But surely this is right?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yes, with Blue to throw in

You saw it and called it touched. Its their responsibility to understand what will happen next.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Bang on in my book.

Put in-goal by Black and made dead ie attacking 5m scrum.

Someone is bound to say "Shout louder". Perhaps they just need to listen harder.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had something similar at the weekend. Also u18
Clearance kick by white, inside own 22m, lightly touched by blue.
I shout 'touched by blue'
Ball travels a long way, and goes into touch.
One player is really paying attention.. White 9 who sees the opportunity, races after the ball, collects it in touch and takes a quick throw-in to his winger who was following his lead

He was an excellent player, not the only moment in the game where he was quicker thinking than any other player on the pitch.
(And from Simon's old school, if I am not mistaken)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I had something similar at the weekend. Also u18
Clearance kick by white, inside own 22m, lightly touched by blue.
I shout 'touched by blue'
Ball travels a long way, and goes into touch.
One player is really paying attention.. White 9 who sees the opportunity, races after the ball, collects it in touch and takes a quick throw-in to his winger who was following his lead

He was an excellent player, not the only moment in the game where he was quicker thinking than any other player on the pitch.
(And from Simon's old school, if I am not mistaken)

was white 9 onside at time of kick?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Bang on in my book.

Put in-goal by Black and made dead ie attacking 5m scrum.

22.7(d) says this:

If a defending player threw or took the ball into the in-goal, and a defending player grounded it, and there has been no infringement, play is restarted by a 5-metre scrum. The position of the scrum is in line with where the ball has been touched down. The attacking side throws in the ball.

Its remains a bit of stretch to consider a graze as being "threw" or "took".

But not an argument I am likely to win :(

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
was white 9 onside at time of kick?

It may not matter. Touched in flight puts everyone onside except players offside under the 10m Law.

[LAWS]11.3 BEING PUT ONSIDE BY OPPONENTS
In general play, there are three ways by which an offside player can be put onside by an
action of the opposing team. These three ways do not apply to a player who is offside under
the 10-Metre Law.
(a) Runs 5 metres with ball. When an opponent carrying the ball runs 5 metres, the offside
player is put onside.
(b) Kicks or passes. When an opponent kicks or passes the ball, the offside player is put
onside.
(c) Intentionally touches ball. When an opponent intentionally touches the ball but does not
catch it, the offside player is put onside.

[/LAWS]

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
He may well have been in front of the kicker, as he had passed the ball to him a few seconds before, but as Ian points out he is put onside by blue touching ball.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I had a "touched in flight" ( called loudly by me) , a few weeks back, that was kicked by Gold, caught in their own 22 by BLUE on their own 5m line.

Blue promptly called 'mark' and stopped , i immediately shouted " no mark-play on" ... But all blue players had already stopped, as did all gold players apart from one player who legally flattened the blue catcher taking him 2-3m backwards in the process.

howls of protest from blue players and supporters

gold immediately got to his feet tried to take possession of the ball, Blue remained on tbe ground desperately holding on onto the ball c.2m from the goal line.

Blue spectator disquiet increased ,when I then YC the blue player and awarded a PT because no other blue defender was within 5m of the ball.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had a "touched in flight" ( called loudly by me) , a few weeks back, that was kicked by Gold, caught in their own 22 by BLUE on their own 5m line.

Blue promptly called 'mark' and stopped , i immediately shouted " no mark-play on" ... But all blue players had already stopped, as did all gold players apart from one player who legally flattened the blue catcher taking him 2-3m backwards in the process.

howls of protest from blue players and supporters

gold immediately got to his feet tried to take possession of the ball, Blue remained on tbe ground desperately holding on onto the ball c.2m from the goal line.

Blue spectator disquiet increased ,when I then YC the blue player and awarded a PT because no other blue defender was within 5m of the ball.

shout louder!

:wink:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
actually Browner - I really feel for you in that scenario, it's a referee's bad dream! :)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
when I then YC the blue player and awarded a PT because no other blue defender was within 5m of the ball.

Wow. That's a huge call and not one I would have made. No wonder the spectators were after your blood

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
He may well have been in front of the kicker, as he had passed the ball to him a few seconds before, but as Ian points out he is put onside by blue touching ball.

If he was in front of the kicker and moving forward between the time of kick and time of touch, is that not a material offence?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Wow. That's a huge call and not one I would have made. No wonder the spectators were after your blood

Straight forward for me, as it happening i was thinking ...If gold gets the ball then it's a certain try ...then he couldnt.... blue couldnt tackle him because he was on the ground.

Once explained even blue captain nodded in acceptance. As he said "everyone heard your call"

I will openly admit to taking a moment to replay my decision process in my head for a good moment or so.

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Correct call Browner. It's not your job to make sure the catcher knows the law. He forgot the basic (unwritten) law that trumps every law:

PLAY THE WHISTLE.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Quite a hefty punishment with a YC too. Brave man!