Pro Womens - Covid laws

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Experimental Laws for pro Women's game for Covid

The first one looks interesting, it looks like the experiment I (and I think OB..) have often thought should be tried: just play on after a knock on . Would like to see details

EjoXOV-WkAAbK56.jpg

Last edited:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Beat me to it, as variations for the current climate I think it’s sensible, and just wish they had pushed this as n option for the community game (who also have no testing protocol like the ladies), might have got started sooner

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Beat me to it, as variations for the current climate I think it’s sensible, and just wish they had pushed this as n option for the community game (who also have no testing protocol like the ladies), might have got started sooner

LIKE...

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Im not getting that first thing.

surely it doesnt mean if red knock on and regather then just play on?

really?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Im not getting that first thing.

surely it doesnt mean if red knock on and regather then just play on?

really?

I think the experment will be along the lines off: knock ons are ignored unless the team knocking on specifcially GAIN an advantage from it.

So yes
- red 15 knock on in the middle of the open pitch and regather = ignore
- red knock on, ball goes behind hapless blue defender, red is able to regather = scrum

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Experimental Laws for pro Women's game for Covid

The first one looks interesting, it looks like the experiment I (and I think OB..) have often thought should be tried: just play on after a knock on . Would like to see details

View attachment 4044

Why not just play advantage as you normally would but if it's regathered then it's a free-kick as per forward pass?

We'll see how it pans out, no doubt.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
scenario - #15, miles from anyone , fumbles a catch, drops and regathers

that's not going to reduce scrums by 75%.

I think what it means is that the act of knocking the ball on creates enough disadvantage on its own, so play on for all knock ons.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
that's not going to reduce scrums by 75%.

I think what it means is that the act of knocking the ball on creates enough disadvantage on its own, so play on for all knock ons.

There has to be some exceptions, I think , for instance knocking on over the line and then scoring, would I think be not allowed

I would be very interested to see the actual rules !

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I hope this provides a framework to also allow the community game back sooner than would be possible using current laws.

One note of caution though, a 75% reduction in the number of scrums does not mean a 75% reduction in the amount of contact or face to face time. More in play time means more rucks and mauls and so the reduction in close contact time will be considerably less. Also, as was pointed out in the player welfare debate some time ago, more breakdowns has the potential to increase the number of injuries to certain players (1st phase ball carriers and defenders).

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
What about a league-like 5 accidental knock-ons and it's turnover ball?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I hope this provides a framework to also allow the community game back sooner than would be possible using current laws.

One note of caution though, a 75% reduction in the number of scrums does not mean a 75% reduction in the amount of contact or face to face time. More in play time means more rucks and mauls and so the reduction in close contact time will be considerably less. Also, as was pointed out in the player welfare debate some time ago, more breakdowns has the potential to increase the number of injuries to certain players (1st phase ball carriers and defenders).

yes - need to measure the overall injury rate, not just the caught covid rate.

PLUS you need to factor in that for the population of rugby players in general (young and fit) COVID will be largely asymptomatic or mild, but contact injuries may be severe - so don't want to attract injuries to avoid covid

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
scenario - #15, miles from anyone , fumbles a catch, drops and regathers

Let's say we let that go.
Passes that go forward when not near the opposition - we let that go as well?

Not propelling the ball forward with your hands or arms is one of the fundamentals of the game.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Let's say we let that go.
Passes that go forward when not near the opposition - we let that go as well?

that's a forward pass, not a knock on.

Not propelling the ball forward with your hands or arms is one of the fundamentals of the game.

agreed, and no change to forward passes, and no change to deliberate knock on.

what would be interesting would be to address the accidental knock on. We could trial making that no longer an offence.

- deliberate knock on = PK
- ball is accidentally knocked on = play on unless the team knocking actually gain an advantage from it.

For comparison : This is pretty much how it works at age group level in games where fly-hacking is prohibited. deliberate kick = PK
loose ball happens to hit a foot = play on unless the team get an actual advantage from it (eg player was running, and ball travels miles) when it's a scrum

IMPORTANT : I am not saying make this Law change. I am saying : it would be an intriguing idea to trial

I wonder what the pro-woman trial actually is? Anyone got sight of the trial Laws?

Last edited:

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Poor skills is a disadvantage in itself, do we really need to stop the game for a scrum when there is already a disadvantage of delay? I would suggest again that the ref can define a fumble vs a feint and act accordingly. I hate awarding scrums for an inadvertent fumble that has already caused a disadvantage.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Poor skills is a disadvantage in itself, do we really need to stop the game for a scrum when there is already a disadvantage of delay? I would suggest again that the ref can define a fumble vs a feint and act accordingly. I hate awarding scrums for an inadvertent fumble that has already caused a disadvantage.

exactly so, yes.

(or LIKE if we only had that button)

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
yes - need to measure the overall injury rate, not just the caught covid rate.

PLUS you need to factor in that for the population of rugby players in general (young and fit) COVID will be largely asymptomatic or mild, but contact injuries may be severe - so don't want to attract injuries to avoid covid

Passing on your contact injury to your family/coworkers/community is quite rare though.