Pro Womens - Covid laws

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Passing on your contact injury to your family/coworkers/community is quite rare though.

this is true - it all comes back whether and when we expect a vaccine, doesn't it ?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
[...]Not propelling the ball forward with your hands or arms is one of the fundamentals of the game.
Agree. I do not want to see such fundamentals changed.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Agree. I do not want to see such fundamentals changed.

which is worse: change the fundamentals or don't play any rugby?

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
As soon as someone with covid gets in that first scrum, it won't matter how long it is or how few you have afterwards. Likewise with any other contact situation.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
which is worse: change the fundamentals or don't play any rugby?

The one doesn't lead to the other.

Knock on? Instead of forgiving them, give the opposition a free tap.

See? Fundamentals unchanged AND the community gets a game!

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
As I understand it, the fundamental part of the introduction of the Knock-On Law was to prevent a 'Forward Pass' by 'punching' the ball forwards to a team-mate rather than punishing a team twice for a fumble.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
As I understand it, the fundamental part of the introduction of the Knock-On Law was to prevent a 'Forward Pass' by 'punching' the ball forwards to a team-mate rather than punishing a team twice for a fumble.
[LAWS]iv. A KNOCK ON, as distinguished from a throw on, consists in striking the ball on with the arm or hand.[/LAWS]1845 - first written Laws.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Anyway. LLP junior refereed Sale v Loughborough. He refereed it as any knock is a FK.

We'll see what his review says about how he interpreted the rewrite. So will you (some of you) get your wish and see play on from Knock Ons? DoRs were reasonably happy and never said anything like "we thought we were just playing on after a knock on". So who knows?

It did throw up a few things to think about. Is time up after a knock on because you've now got to award a free kick? Ahhhhh?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Anyway. LLP junior refereed Sale v Loughborough. He refereed it as any knock is a FK.

We'll see what his review says about how he interpreted the rewrite. So will you (some of you) get your wish and see play on from Knock Ons? DoRs were reasonably happy and never said anything like "we thought we were just playing on after a knock on". So who knows?

It did throw up a few things to think about. Is time up after a knock on because you've now got to award a free kick? Ahhhhh?

can you post up a copy of what the actual Law Variation says ? (I have only seen the press summary)

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Having watched some of all the Pro Women's games so far, all the referees have blown up for a knock-on and awarded a free kick unless they were applying advantage. There has not been any 'play on'.

I would say that the aim to achieve 75% fewer scrums was easily achieved. I saw very few. Two/three a game.

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Having watched some of all the Pro Women's games so far, all the referees have blown up for a knock-on and awarded a free kick unless they were applying advantage. There has not been any 'play on'.

I would say that the aim to achieve 75% fewer scrums was easily achieved. I saw very few. Two/three a game.

That suggests the other 4 referees who I'm not related to have done likewise. :)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
can you post up a copy of what the actual Law Variation says ? (I have only seen the press summary)

I've only seen the what you posted in #1. I'll ask junior what he's had - I wouldn't bet on it being anything different.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

so basically the variation is to award a FK instead of a scrum.

Can they quick tap ? In the scenario of the #15 dropping a kick .. if the oppo could get there first, FK tap and go -- that's a try !

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
All RFU officials have been issued with a copy of the fag packet they were written on.:)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

Can they quick tap ? In the scenario of the #15 dropping a kick .. if the oppo could get there first, FK tap and go -- that's a try !

i guess its a pay off between some potential but still fairly extreme silly scebarios, and no rugby at all...

didds

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I’m on Hi-Viz duties at the DMP vs Worcester game tomorrow (the behind the scenes is like a military operation Green, Amber and Red Zones with ID Cards that tell you which ones you can go in!), the ref is our county RDO so if I get a chance I’ll ask him for any details

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

that's not how I'd ref it. FK is just a covid-safe alternate to a scrum so I'd allow defence to organise in same way as a scrum.

But what about a drop goal? A DG can be taken straight from a scrum. Can a scrum-alternate FK tap now be followed by a pass to #10 for a DG?