Protocol awarding PT

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yes, it worked out OK this time.
But why don't we just change the Law to remove the requirement to be under the posts ...

I (and probably all of us) clearly understand your point. I'm not too fussed either way ... it's a nice bit of theatre and is traditional.

The one I'd like to change is the position of the ref at the restart. Why stand next to the kicker and then run like buggery to get near the place of landing? Why not start on the receiving team's side, centrefield & 15 metres from 1/2 way? Easy to see if chasers are in front of kick and you're going to be nicely placed when the ball comes down.

EDIT: traditionally the ref stands alongside the kicker at a penalty. A few years ago & because of the speed of the game, the elite 7s guys started standing on the defensive 10 metres ... made sense, this is where the play is going to end up from a tap. AIUI the powers that be (Paddy?) got them to change back because the new position made them look lazy & unfit.

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
.........The one I'd like to change is the position of the ref at the restart. Why stand next to the kicker and then run like buggery to get near the place of landing? Why not start on the receiving team's side, centrefield & 15 metres from 1/2 way? Easy to see if chasers are in front of kick and you're going to be nicely placed when the ball comes down.

EDIT: traditionally the ref stands alongside the kicker at a penalty. A few years ago & because of the speed of the game, the elite 7s guys started standing on the defensive 10 metres ... made sense, this is where the play is going to end up from a tap. AIUI the powers that be (Paddy?) got them to change back because the new position made them look lazy & unfit.

I often will adopt the positioning that you suggest. That way you are clearly out of the kickers way should he do a switch and ick Right instead of left etc.

The call will depend on the feel of the game.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I did warn you all. It's a pity that when you put someone on ignore, you see their posts quoted.

Glad to see you're being the bigger man about it and letting it go. :deadhorse:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Wayne Barnes sprints off out of the blocks away from a collapsed maul in the corner , in order to award a PT

@2.45

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Can’t see any negative outcomes as a result of the ref’s action in either of those, are you trying to bolster your argument or everyone else’s !?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I (and probably all of us) clearly understand your point. I'm not too fussed either way ... it's a nice bit of theatre and is traditional.

The one I'd like to change is the position of the ref at the restart. Why stand next to the kicker and then run like buggery to get near the place of landing? Why not start on the receiving team's side, centrefield & 15 metres from 1/2 way? Easy to see if chasers are in front of kick and you're going to be nicely placed when the ball comes down.

Clive Norling used to advocate this.
If I had To3 (which I do here!), I'd get the AR to manage the half way line and o/side inm front of the kicker and I'd go wait where the kick is going to land and manage first contact.
No-one has ever produced a coherent argument as to why this wouldn't work.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
St Nige running off to get under the posts

Wayne Barnes sprints off out of the blocks away from a collapsed maul in the corner , in order to award a PT
@2.45

You're like my dog who can see a small bug trappened between the back door and the storm door and won't stop worrying at it. It's a small bug, not doing any harm, but she won't stop worrying at it and annoying everyone in proximity despite being warned to leave it alone...

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Clive Norling used to advocate this.
If I had To3 (which I do here!), I'd get the AR to manage the half way line and o/side inm front of the kicker and I'd go wait where the kick is going to land and manage first contact.
No-one has ever produced a coherent argument as to why this wouldn't work.

even without ARs ... look at the feet and listen for the boot on ball.

We're OK managing 2 sets of backs at lineouts and we don't have a painted line to help us.

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
even without ARs ... look at the feet and listen for the boot on ball.

We're OK managing 2 sets of backs at lineouts and we don't have a painted line to help us.

Fair point.

RedCapRef

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
The only argument I can readily think of against being in the defensive area at a kick off is that you become a target area. By aiming for where the ref is the kicker gains a ready made space as you need to move out of the way and a few tenths of a second are gained in the defenders having to reposition and you will be running backwards trying to keep out of both sets of players converging on the same spot from all directions.
Apart from that it is a good idea which works well in the sevens game as there is much more space for the ref to "disappear" into when the kick is taken.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The only argument I can readily think of against being in the defensive area at a kick off is that you become a target area. By aiming for where the ref is the kicker gains a ready made space as you need to move out of the way and a few tenths of a second are gained in the defenders having to reposition and you will be running backwards trying to keep out of both sets of players converging on the same spot from all directions.
Apart from that it is a good idea which works well in the sevens game as there is much more space for the ref to "disappear" into when the kick is taken.

I understand your point. However, how many sides would risk the chance of "Where does the ball rebound to off the referee?" for example. Surely they'd like a kick that gives a fair chance of them gaining possession. A kick into space or a good hanging kick is more likely to deliver that.

RedCapRef

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I understand your point. However, how many sides would risk the chance of "Where does the ball rebound to off the referee?" for example. Surely they'd like a kick that gives a fair chance of them gaining possession. A kick into space or a good hanging kick is more likely to deliver that.

Mark I was more meaning that the expectation is that the space will appear where the ref was as the ref tries to get out of the way so that it doesn't hit him, which would lead to a scrum anyway as it is unlikely that no team would be seen to have gained an advantage. Law 6.10.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Mark I was more meaning that the expectation is that the space will appear where the ref was as the ref tries to get out of the way so that it doesn't hit him, which would lead to a scrum anyway as it is unlikely that no team would be seen to have gained an advantage. Law 6.10.

but that in itself COULD be a tactic. As it presumably ends up with the kicking team getting the put-in and a general expectation of having possession as a result.

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
but that in itself COULD be a tactic. As it presumably ends up with the kicking team getting the put-in and a general expectation of having possession as a result.

didds

Seriously? That's like saying the ref shouldn't stand at the back of the lineout cos the thrower might try to hit the ref with the ball

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
It was more a counter to the "why would teams kick at the ref and risk a wierd bounce off him" question above.

beacsue if it did do that they wouldn't really lose out. That's all.