Proud dad moment

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
My son had his first senior game today and played a full 80 mins at scrum half and wing in our clubs first win of the season. I managed to get on for the last 10 mins with him
I can retire for good now

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Awesome. I refereed a game last year where the Dad came on for the last 10 minutes - he had always wanted to play in the same side as his boy.

As if that wasn't enough, the Dad (a big bloke playing Prop) scored in the last play of the game. I think I've got a mate for life. :biggrin:

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Awesome. I refereed a game last year where the Dad came on for the last 10 minutes - he had always wanted to play in the same side as his boy.

As if that wasn't enough, the Dad (a big bloke playing Prop) scored in the last play of the game. I think I've got a mate for life. :biggrin:

Sorry got that the wrong way Taff, can it be undone:sad:

I play O2 touch with my sone but not a full contact game

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I played a Senior game with both my lads - different games - 3 years apart when they were both 17 ish (if that makes sense)

The last one (a game in our 2nds) I had the intention of 15 minutes on the wing (as you do). I was 48 years old. Being the only replacement I thought it too much to expect I'd only get 15 minutes. Lo and behold about 10 minutes in I had to come on. As stood on the wing watching the ineptitude inside me I slowly made my way in one position every 15 minutes until I was back at 10 (where I belong) :)

Anyway we got thumped and I got stamped on.

My abiding memory was the referee's PMB which lasted about a minute before I decided I'd had enough and went for a jog/stretch round the pitch. He was still going when I got back about 2 minutes later. FFS :)

It is a nice memory to have.

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Forgive me if this tale is a repeat - we didn't have HIAs in my day. Having attempted to retire a couple of times but foolishly left my kit in the car and been called up when teams were short, I decided to hang on until my son could play senior football. Come the day, I was in my 50s by then, we played together on the club's 2nd XV and I was immensely proud of his brave performance at full back. Thought I had a decent game at stand-off. We won. Next week the team sheets went up: he's on the firsts, I'm on the thirds. The message was clear!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I thought I remembered this thread.

Another one. Probably sounds better than it is.

LLP junior is refereeing England U20s against......Oxford University.

Warm up for 6N.
IIRC I was actually appointed to one of your son's games in Gloucesterhire some years ago. Congratultions to him.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
IIRC I was actually appointed to one of your son's games in Gloucesterhire some years ago. Congratultions to him.

You did. Not sure when. He was at Cheltenham a few years ago. I think it's there they have the Chris White referees' changing room. :) Was that it?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
You did. Not sure when. He was at Cheltenham a few years ago. I think it's there they have the Chris White referees' changing room. :) Was that it?
I'm not aware of a Chris White referee's changing room, but I have been inactive for some time now.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
My son is going through to seniors in September. I've promised him I'll play a match with him... we played against each other in the new year's match the other week (old vs. young) and he's definitely going to have to step down a couple of grades if I'm to keep up with him!