[Scrum] PT that shouldn't

taff426

Facebook Member
Post Likes
To me, the thinking behind a PT is to award the PT ‘if a try would probably have been scored, but for the illegal actions of the opposition’. In this case, the try could have been given if he had delayed the whistle.
Definatley a case of too early on the whistle for me as the scrum although wheeled, and breaking up, was still going forward, and, the gall was over the try line.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
well here's a radical idea... why should #8s get the try credit as the try scorer for a push over try? All the real work has been done by the front five, and the front row in particular taking all the strain and pressure and at times pain (I can still recall a push over try against Andover II where it felt as if I carried my oppo LH on my cheek bone!)

(It isn;t a serious suggestion/query ;-) )

didds

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Looks a bit premature as wait another half second and you will see a try being scored, so the illegal action did not stop the scoring of a try. You could also argue half a second too late, blow before the ball crosses the try line as an offence has clearly occurred preventing a probably try (only an unlikely knock on would prevent the try being scored).

Overall looks a bit weird but I have no real problems with the call.

Look at that feed though, grrrrr.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Scrum had gone round and you can't play advantage from a wheeled scrum so it is reset or penalty. So a try could not now be scored. so the offence prevented a probable try.

Of course the first offence was the feed.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
What is happening with 5m scrums and PTs?!

Another example of a high level ref making simply the wrong call. At least in this case it's not very material, but it seems some of the myths about PTs are getting worryingly high up!

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The question is: Did the scrum go through 90? The front row didn't and it's the front row that counts.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
No comments about the foot up?

The current interpretations of the Law Book are ruining the game at grass roots level, I see another SCHISM- professional rugby, and Proper Rugby; similar to union/league.