Question reference number 212

Agustin

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Just a nit-pick: the response to question reference number 212 refers to law 15.7i, which doesn't exist. It should be 15.6i.

Emmet Murphy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Shouldn't this be a penalty try?

Question Reference Number: 212
Blue #5 is running forward with the ball and is tackled by Gold #6 just in front of Gold's goal-line. There are many players from both teams there. Blue #5 reaches out to ground the ball on the goal-line, but Gold #3 kicks the ball from his hands and into touch before Blue #5 can ground it. What do you do?
Correct!
The correct answer is: B.
15.7i : When a tackled player reaches out to ground the ball on or over the goal-line to score a try, an opponent may pull the ball from the player's possession, but must not kick the ball. The penalty is a penalty kick.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20 out of 21 Correct: 95%

A. Award a scrum, with Blue throwing-in, five meters from in-goal and in-line with where Blue #5 tried to ground the ball.
B. Award a penalty kick to Blue, five meters from in-goal and in-line with where the ball was kicked from Blue #5's grasp.
C. Award a drop-out to Gold; a drop kick taken anywhere on or behind the 22-meter line.
D. Award a line-out to Blue where the ball went into touch.

AndyKidd

Referees in Heaven
Post Likes
Shouldn't this be a penalty try?

Question Reference Number: 212
Blue #5 is running forward with the ball and is tackled by Gold #6 just in front of Gold's goal-line. There are many players from both teams there. Blue #5 reaches out to ground the ball on the goal-line, but Gold #3 kicks the ball from his hands and into touch before Blue #5 can ground it. What do you do?
Correct!
The correct answer is: B.
15.7i : When a tackled player reaches out to ground the ball on or over the goal-line to score a try, an opponent may pull the ball from the player's possession, but must not kick the ball. The penalty is a penalty kick.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20 out of 21 Correct: 95%

A. Award a scrum, with Blue throwing-in, five meters from in-goal and in-line with where Blue #5 tried to ground the ball.
B. Award a penalty kick to Blue, five meters from in-goal and in-line with where the ball was kicked from Blue #5's grasp.
C. Award a drop-out to Gold; a drop kick taken anywhere on or behind the 22-meter line.
D. Award a line-out to Blue where the ball went into touch.

The laws I think apply to the Law Book and are transfered straight from there. As we all know during a game a lot of things then are at the interpritation of the referee and in that case I would think most of us would then move on to :-

22.4 (h) Penalty try. A penalty try is awarded if a try would probably
have been scored but for foul play by the defending team. A
penalty try is awarded if a try would probably have been scored in​
a better position but for foul play by the defending team.

But as far as LRL goes their interpritation is "By the Book"

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
The number issue is just the LRL has not been amended following a re number.

The answer to Emmet's Questin is NO! The award is a penalty (which may "convert" to a penalty try if the points raise by Andy Kidd apply. After all if the player was about to score smack between the posts why award a PT?

Last edited:

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
The number issue is just the LRL has not been amended folloqwing a re number.

The answer to Emmet's Questin is NO! The award is a penalty (which may "convert" to a penalty try if the points raise by Andy Kidd apply. After all if the player was about to score smack between the posts why award a PT?

I think you may have misphrased that.

Surely if he was about to score between the posts and the ball is illegally kicked from his hands, that's clearly a PT? At least a yellow card too, I'd have thought.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
The award would be a Penalty which may become a penalty try if it meets the criteria for a PT. To me a PT is an "Upgrading" of a penalty in certain circumstances. What if a player was about to get his body between the ball and the ground thus the try was not "probable" but only "possible". Extreme I know but the extrapolation illustrates the point.

The first call in any penalty try scenario in Penalty with a (virtually instantaneous) upgrade to PT.

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
It would for me, unless the goal line was unlikely to be touched - either because of distance, or because of the scattered bodies from the previous ruck, for example.

So the question is accurate, in that it leaves the PT decision to the ref - as is always the case for a penalty in the red zone.

Emmet Murphy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Absolutely Dixie - the question of how probable the try was is determined by those factors. The description "Blue #5 reaches out to ground the ball on the goal-line" suggests very strongly Blue 5 was close enough to score and probably would have had the ball not been kicked away. Penalty Try.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Absolutely no doubt that a PT is the right call in this GIVEN scenario, and also a YC for the miscreant

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I've questioned the PT just said that (pedantically)the call is a penalty which becomes a PT under certain conditions. I'm being a little pedantic because the question and options is, to me, very clear and "every" penalty a PT is an option.

Emmet Murphy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Okay fair enough ... the way you wrote your initial response it sounded as though you thought it should be a penalty only in that situation - sorry, I misinterpreted that!