Quick Rundown / Things To Look Out For?

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Hi,

I lost my original post so I'm going to re-write this briefly.
I haven't refereed in 2 years and haven't played in 1 year.
I'm getting back into refereeing this Saturday in a B-side / friendly match between my former D1 college team and another D1 college team.
I'm fairly knowledgeable on the laws as I've played for 10 years prior, I'm just asking for common things to look out for and basics to being a referee to keep the game running smoothly.

Things I'm not so good at are the laws in the try zone such as when it's a 22m dropout or a choice of a dropout or scrum to the defending team after dotting down a direct kick into the try zone, or when the ball is kicked directly into touch in goal. Also my pre-game chat with both teams has always been weak, not sure who to talk to, what to say and when is most optimal to do it (before / after the coin toss)?

Any other basic things to keep in mind as a referee would be very appreciated.

Thanks fine chaps!

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Try NOT to blow the whistle! Now I know that sounds strange, However, it makes sense. If you can keep the game moving through Advantage or materiality do so.

EXCEPT

Foul play. Early doors don't risk a loss of control easier to relax the reins than try to haul them in.

The exceptions in law (collapsed scrums no advantage etc).

Make sure you get the critical calls right. You refer to an issue re in-goal; drop outs / scrum back etc. Take time to read the relevant laws and have them clear in your mind.

Remember with in goal it's all about WHICH TEAM PUT THE BALL INTO IN-GOAL. So when the ball travels into in-goal make a mental note which colour took the ball in. Drop out or scrum 5 is dependent upon that.

Kicks into in-goal:

22.7 RESTARTING AFTER A TOUCH DOWN

(a) When an attacking player sends or carries the ball into the opponents’ in-goal and it becomes dead there, either because a defender grounded it or because it went into touch in-goal or on or over the dead ball line, a drop-out is awarded.

(b) If an attacking player knocks-on or throws-forward in the field of play and the ball goes into the opponents’ in-goal and it is made dead there, a scrum is awarded where the knock-on or throw forward happened.

(c) If, at a kick-off or drop-out, the ball is kicked into the opponents’ in-goal without having touched or been touched by a player and a defending player grounds it there or makes it dead without delay, the defending team have two choices:

• To have a scrum formed at the centre of the line from which the kick was taken and they throw in the ball; or
• To have the other team kick off or drop out again.

(d) If a defending player threw or took the ball into the in-goal, and a defending player grounded it, and there has been no infringement, play is restarted by a 5-metre scrum. The position of the scrum is in line with where the ball has been touched down. The attacking
side throws in the ball.

(e) If a defending team has put the ball into their own in-goal and a defending player kicks the ball so that is charged down in in-goal and then made dead, the attacking side is awarded a 5-metre scrum in line with where the ball is made dead and they throw in the ball.

22.8 BALL KICKED DEAD THROUGH IN-GOAL
If a team kicks the ball through their opponents’ in-goal into touch-in-goal or on or over the dead ball line, except by an unsuccessful kick at goal or attempted dropped goal, the defending team has two choices:

• To have a drop-out, or
• To have a scrum at the place where the ball was kicked and they throw in.

Also:

Make sure you have the Scrum engagement clear "CBS".

Tackle management; tackler release & roll away, Tackled player place release or pass the ball and get up, Arriving player stay on their feet and entre through the gate.

Call Rucks and mauls over early rather than late - do not allow a prolonged wrestle. This will only invite boots on bodies.

SMILE, COMMUNICATE, ENJOY!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
PMB - there are lots of threads on this if you search. Most consistent advice is to keep it very short and simple
- Front Row - CBS, wait for my command at each stage. no shove before the ball
- SH - tap on the back to put the ball in (or signal)
- I tell them in a line out I will mark defenders line, throwers leave a gap
- expect them to ask 'when is it out' and have your answer ready

I do home team, then take the the captain with me to see the other captain.
with the two captains together I
- make sure we are all clear on number of subs (in my merit leagues this is often by agreement) whether it's interchanges or old fashioned substitions and whether man-off applies (round here both these apply in some competitions, but not in others. I want to make sure we are all on same page before it happens)
- do the toss
- say please can they find a TJ for me.

Then I do the other team studs and PMB

Once the game starts
- Start strict on everything, you can always lighten up a bit later (The other way round doesn't work :sad:)
- have a good PK whistle, primary signal secondary signal

good luck

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
OMG .......... As if nothing could be worse than RL continuingly influence into Union, now Gridiron sneaking its dirty snout into our party

Law 22.7 title
[LAWS]. Restarting after a TOUCH DOWN [/LAWS] .....:wtf: ........as well as my regular crucifix , im now gonna have to wear a goddamn Sheriffs badge.

Whatever next .... Padding & Helmets! or matches broken into Quarters for advertising and refreshment sales increases !!

Turn your horse around and get outta town mister, Sheriff says so
images

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Solid advice so far, thanks chaps!

Where do you guys find is the most optimal place to stand during lineouts?
When is the ball out in a lineout? This one I don't recall quite exactly and will have to do some reading up tonight.

Thanks!

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Stand at the front on the throwing team's side. Sort of opposite where the defending hooker should be. You can vary it by going to the back occasionally of if the seem to always be throwing it long.

Without looking at the law, ball is out of lineout when it is deflected or passed or when player carrying it leaves lineout or it is thrown over 15m

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Where do you guys find is the most optimal place to stand during lineouts?

When is the ball out in a lineout? This one I don't recall quite exactly and will have to do some reading up tonight.

I generally stand near the two hookers, on the side of the team throwing in but very near touch, so that I can see both sets of backs. If you are happy that they are staying 10m back until the ball is "out" you could also take a position 5 metres beyond the 15m.

The ball is out of the lineout when it leaves the lineout, which is either through leaving it (tap, pass, whatever) physically, or the maul formed at the line-out leaving - by virtue of the back foot leaving - the original line of the line-out.

Remember ATP - Ask, Tell, Penalty. Some teams struggle to work out what 10 metres actually is. Ask them, and tell them repeatedly, before penalizing, particularly at the lineout. By comparison, never ask with a high tackle or other such potentially dangerous play; if it is only potentially dangerous (tackle starts below shoulders, and arm slides up) then for a friendly a Tell may be appropriate.

Don't focus on individual decisions you make. The players just want to play a fair game - most of them at least! Instead make sure you communicate to the players on both sides what you are seeing.

Above all, enjoy!

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
R a R
aaa aa aa
a Z
bbb bbbb
r b b r

I would usually stand at either "R" facing the non-throwing team. If close the try line, I might stand at either "r". I would avoid standing at the "Z"

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Can't agree with that.

Sorry, I failed to add full context. Tell them repeatedly IF it is not material (for example they are standing 8 metres back but make no effort is made to encroach. And by "tell repeatedly", I meant that each side gets at least one tell, rather than at most one tell for both sides. Not dozens of times as I must admit it reads ;)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Disagree. If they are recidivist and ignore what I advise them, they're getuting dinged. The more times you tell them, the less in control you are.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Positioning is a poor term in a way because it implies being static. "Happy feet" is a good motto. The prime position at a linoeut is indeed at the front on the throwing side, but as important is to move once the ball is thrown.

Remember that infringements across the lineout are more iportant than "not straight" (you can judge that by the way the players jump), so start a couple of metres back from the lines so that you can in effect see through the gaps to the other team. Once the ball is thrown and the gaps close you must find the best view you can.

Going to the back occasionally is a good idea. it gives you a different view and reminds the players that you are all-seeing. However don't stand looking down the centre. Off to one side is a better general view (and move as necessary).

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Thanks again chaps!

I think when I used to ref. (which was as many games as I can count on 1 hand) I would generally stand on the attacking team's side of the lineout at the end of the lineout facing the defending team because I didn't feel as comfortable being enclosed at the start of the lineout. I'll have to work it out when I'm there as I can't envision it as good now, but if I recall I don't think I could see the whole pitch as well when I'm standing at the start of the lineout because then the lineout is blocking my view. Although in either case, how far back from the lineout itself should I be standing 3 meters?...5 meters?

R a R
aaa aa aa
a Z
bbb bbbb
r b b r

Thought you had a stroke for a moment. :p
But seriously, thanks for the advice. :)

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Hey Fine Chaps,

Just wanted to update you guys on how it went.
The A-side game referee stayed around and gave me some advice throughout as well (as I helped AR his game).
Everything went pretty swimmingly considering I haven't refereed in a while.

My biggest downfalls were fitness (definitely something I need to work on) as I started getting out of shape, my whistle tone - apparently I'm pretty monotonous when whistling for different occasions i.e. try vs PK vs minor infringement such as knock on, and too vocal (I was calling tackle at every tackle) but that was easily adjusted. But overall it was a pretty well flowing game, no major issues, and well played by both sides. I had good control of the game the whole time.

No scoring in the first half, and in the second half the score ended 24 - 7. Both teams had a lot of new players, especially the away team (majority of the players 2-3 weeks playing rugby) and throughout the game both teams had amazing scrums. Very clean, and I only had to pipe up to bring them up and have them rebind once the whole game, but no issues at the scrum whatsoever, and ball played cleanly.

The cherry on top was at the end of the game, the away team's coach, albeit losing by a somewhat significant amount was very positive and told me in his 7 years of coaching that was some of the best refereeing he's seen. Always a pleasure to have positive feedback especially from someone unbiased. The home team (my former college team) coach shot me a little jib jokingly but they were pleased with my performance as well. It has been a very enlightening experience and I look forward to getting into a little better shape and stepping back out onto the pitch in the referee's uniform.

Thanks again for your advice gentlemen!