[Law] Quick tap penalty

frenchie851

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Blue player takes penalty quickly. Pink player (at a breakdown and inline with the mark) follows the ball carrier and ensures that the ball carrier travels 10 meters and then tackles the ball carrier.

Law 20.

.Even if the penalty or free-kick is taken quickly and the kicker’s team is playing the ball, opposing players must keep retreating the necessary distance. They may not take part in the game until they have done so.

.If it is taken so quickly that opponents have no opportunity to retreat, they will not be sanctioned for this. However, they may not take part in the game until they have retreated 10 metres from the mark or until a team-mate who was 10 metres from the mark has moved in front of them.

So what's the decision? The player that made the tackle was actually 'counting out loud' the 10 meters as the ball carrier was running.

I think it could be interpreted that the tackler has retreated 10 meters from the mark? "they may not take part in the game until they have retreated 10 metres from the mark".

Does it make a difference that the tackler tackled the ball carrier from behind?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Does it make a difference that the tackler tackled the ball carrier from behind?[/QUOTE]

No...

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Retreating does not have to be running backwards. In this case they are retreating buy running forwards towards their own line. As long as they have retreated 10m, play on.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Retreating does not have to be running backwards. In this case they are retreating buy running forwards towards their own line. As long as they have retreated 10m, play on.

Did the act of retreating (ie alongside the BC) reduce the ball carrier's options? If yes, you are not retreating, but are remaining in the game by reducing the available space and ultimately the benefit of the PK. PK for me if you move in a way that reduces the options, and by the sound of the OP, probably a card for that player as it sounds cynical.

frenchie851

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Did the act of retreating (ie alongside the BC) reduce the ball carrier's options? If yes, you are not retreating, but are remaining in the game by reducing the available space and ultimately the benefit of the PK. PK for me if you move in a way that reduces the options, and by the sound of the OP, probably a card for that player as it sounds cynical.

He didn't reduce the ball carriers options as the ball carrier had chosen to run off and isolate himself. Other players from his team were very slow on the uptake and there was no one in support of the ball carrier. The would be tackler didn't prevent the ball carrier from passing to a team mate for example.

I played on, wasn't picked up as a mistake by my assessor.

frenchie851

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Does it make a difference that the tackler tackled the ball carrier from behind?

I should have said the reason I mentioned this was because after speaking to another ref he suggested that maybe the tackler should have 'got onside' before making a tackle.

My thought process was that once the ball carrier had run 10 meters, and because the tackler had retreated as soon as the ball was tapped, the would be tackler was now able to make a tackle.

Another way I looked at it was:

Blue take a quick tap in their own 22, ball carrier breaks the line and runs almost the whole length of the filed.

A Red player (who was originally in line with where the ball was tapped) has chased ball carrier back and eventually makes a try saving tackle.

I assume all refs would allow this as I have described it, therefore should it matter if the ball carrier has run 10 meters or 70 meters before the tackle has been made?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
What worries me here is whether the defender is interfering with play over those first ten metres
.. is he limiting the ball carriers ability to pass
.. is he shepherding the ball carrier, limiting the angle of his run

If no to both then play on

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Yeah, all good. Play On for me. No offside at this point as we're in open play.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
What worries me here is whether the defender is interfering with play over those first ten metres
.. is he limiting the ball carriers ability to pass
.. is he shepherding the ball carrier, limiting the angle of his run

If no to both then play on

So he's following. Doesn't seem to be preventing anything or shepherding. If he's close enough to make the tackle at 10m then he's most likely right behind so BC is free to do what he wishes.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
What if the ball carrier realised what was happening and passed the ball back into the following opposition player?

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
What if the ball carrier realised what was happening and passed the ball back into the following opposition player?

Then that would be incredibly stupid of him. He's played the ball as he wished. He's chosen to pass to an opposition player. Same as a 9 who passes to a player at the a ruck who's stood (at the wrong side), still as he's realised he'll be interfering with play if he moves.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Then that would be incredibly stupid of him. He's played the ball as he wished. He's chosen to pass to an opposition player. Same as a 9 who passes to a player at the a ruck who's stood (at the wrong side), still as he's realised he'll be interfering with play if he moves.

He's played the ball as he wished
That is a phrase that is only applied when you're playing advantage. Not sure what it has to do with this scenario.

So you don't think the player who hasn't retreated 10m and is offside is interfering with play if he gets in the way of or intercepts the ball?

Do you not think the player on the wrong side of a ruck who gets the ball passed into him by the SH is interfering with play while in an offside position?

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
That is a phrase that is only applied when you're playing advantage. Not sure what it has to do with this scenario.

So you don't think the player who hasn't retreated 10m and is offside is interfering with play if he gets in the way of or intercepts the ball?

If he gets thrown the ball - No. If he moves towards the ball with intent to play the ball - Yes.

Do you not think the player on the wrong side of a ruck who gets the ball passed into him by the SH is interfering with play while in an offside position?

If he's standing still waiting for the 9 to make his move and not the path of any potential pass - No

This has been reffed like this in a couple of games I've played in at youth level (U-18) and at Adult level. There's even been a few in Int matches. There was one that NO was reffing Scotland (can't remember who it was against, might've been Italy). Blue made the tackle, white secured the ball. There was an option left and right. So blue stood still hands in the air, 9 passed to him (blue) hit his chest, NO said Play on. Explained that he wasn't interfering and that the 9 chose to throw the ball at him.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If he's standing still waiting for the 9 to make his move and not the path of any potential pass - No

This has been reffed like this in a couple of games I've played in at youth level (U-18) and at Adult level. There's even been a few in Int matches. There was one that NO was reffing Scotland (can't remember who it was against, might've been Italy). Blue made the tackle, white secured the ball. There was an option left and right. So blue stood still hands in the air, 9 passed to him (blue) hit his chest, NO said Play on. Explained that he wasn't interfering and that the 9 chose to throw the ball at him.

I have also seen it penalisd at international level.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I have also seen it penalisd at international level.

Only time I've ever seen it penalised is if the player has been moving back to an onside position. But we're off topic. The question was Quick tap taken, player tackled after 10m by a retreating player. That's fine. Play on.

Seriously, I sometimes think that some posters on here post just to be difficult. It's shame really as there's some really good advice mixed in with all the arguing and bickering.

frenchie851

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

If the ball carrier hadn't travelled the 10m and the pursuing player prevented him from passing to a team mate then I would have given a pen.

If the ball carrier had travelled 10m then I would play on.

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Provided that the opposition player is retreating in a straight line to their own goal-line, and not for example changing lanes to block the pass, then I think they are doing exactly that they are required by law - and I am not going to penalise them for it. Play on.

[LAWS]
When a penalty or free-kick is awarded, the opposing team must immediately retreat 10 metres towards their own goal line or until they have reached their goal line if that is closer.

Even if the penalty or free-kick is taken quickly and the kicker’s team is playing the ball, opposing players must keep retreating the necessary distance. They may not take part in the game until they have done so.

If it is taken so quickly that opponents have no opportunity to retreat, they will not be sanctioned for this. However, they may not take part in the game until they have retreated 10 metres from the mark or until a team-mate who was 10 metres from the mark has moved in front of them.
[/LAWS]