[Line out] Quick Throw in ?

Donk93953

Post Likes
A kicks ball from behind their 22 into touch.
Ball bounces off a railing and into hands of awaiting B who is in touch.
B makes a quick throw in to a teammate who is 5.5 meters from touch and behind the spot where ball went into touch.
I was taught that if the ball strikes an impediment, person, dog, when it lands in touch there is No quick throw in.
Has there been a change in this law?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Only people. I don't know if that's changed.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It's play on in this case..
Only if the ball is touched/ touches a human!

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
A kicks ball from behind their 22 into touch.
Ball bounces off a railing and into hands of awaiting B who is in touch.
B makes a quick throw in to a teammate who is 5.5 meters from touch and behind the spot where ball went into touch.
I was taught that if the ball strikes an impediment, person, dog, when it lands in touch there is No quick throw in.
Has there been a change in this law?

The only geography where I have come across this "interpretation" is the United States.

And it's wrong.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Agreed with all the above. There is no reference in law to preventing a QTI if the ball strikes an object (for example fence, advertising hoarding, seats etc.) No concept of in or outside of the field of play either. As long as it does not touch a person, for me a QTI remains on until it's not (i.e. a line out is formed - when this happens is a matter for a separate thread!).

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I think allowing a quick throw after the ball leaves the Playing Enclosure is unnecessary, and the law should be changed.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
what if an elderly spectator uses his walking stick to stop the ball?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think allowing a quick throw after the ball leaves the Playing Enclosure is unnecessary, and the law should be changed.

I had a situation where a ball went into undergrowth, and we all waited about a minute while a player retrieved it, he then jogged back to the touchline with the ball and took a QTI

I didn't allow it , but in Law I was probably wrong

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I might be wrong in law, but if a dog ran over and touched the ball I would probably not allow a QTI.

Mark me down if you must.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I had a situation where a ball went into undergrowth, and we all waited about a minute while a player retrieved it, he then jogged back to the touchline with the ball and took a QTI

I didn't allow it , but in Law I was probably wrong

I often referee at parks where there are trees, bushes or even farmer's fields just outside the enclosure. I tell both captains during my PMB that if the ball disappears from view there will be no QTI's.