"Quickly taken lineout" TOS

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
- black player has the ball in touch, and is shaping for a QTI

- you decide there are 2 players from each team at the line of touch so you let the teams know the QTI is no longer an option.

- Right after you call this the black player throws the ball in straight along the line of touch to the front receiver at 5.5m.

- Red was sauntering back assuming a more relaxed set up to the line out. They start crying that you had called off the QTI.

Q: would you play on, calling this a lineout, or would you re-set?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I give up, I can't work out how to make this into a poll

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes

- you decide there are 2 players from each team at the line of touch so you let the teams know the QTI is no longer an option.

- Right after you call this the black player throws the ball in straight along the line of touch to the front receiver at 5.5m.

- Red was sauntering back assuming a more relaxed set up to the line out. They start crying that you had called off the QTI.

red is the mistake

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
you decide there are 2 players from each team at the line of touch so you let the teams know the QTI is no longer an option.
red is the mistake

[LAWS]18.5 A quick throw is disallowed and a lineout is awarded to the same team if:
A lineout had already been formed;

18.9 A lineout is formed on the mark of touch.

18.10 Each team forms a single line parallel to and half a metre from the mark of touch on their side of the lineout between the five-metre and 15-metre lines. The gap between the lines must be maintained until the ball is thrown in. Sanction: Free-kick.

18.11 A minimum of two players from each team are required to form a lineout.

[/LAWS]

It has always been my understanding that this is the minimum requirement for a lineout to have been formed as far as a QTI is concerned. In practice it rarely happens. If a team wants to take a QTI they do so asap. If not, then the opposition are usually first to the line of touch and the throwing team take their time.

We are having this legalistic argument precisely because the laws are not clear on the exact criteria that constitute forming a lineout.

Personally I am not seeing any problems in this area.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Why would that be a mistake ? It's very commonly done ..

Common use is not always correct and creates myths.

"no quick throw in" is not interpreted by everyone on the field similarly. In OP, the red team does not interpret it correctly and the ref is the source of this interpretation by using potentially ambiguous terms.

By definition a quick throw in cannot occur on the line of touch, but the red team cannot be expected to know the precise meaning. And in this case the red team is negatively influenced by over management.

I would suggest phrases that led to no quick throw in, such as "spectator touched ball", "replacement ball", "lineout formed"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Re: "Quickly taken lineout" TOS

A QTI can take place on line of touch

- - - Updated - - -

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Re: "Quickly taken lineout" TOS

- - - Updated - - -

Not according to law

At a quick throw, the ball is thrown in:

Between the mark of touch and the thrower’s own goal line

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

As OB said, it is usually the non throwing team that is first to the LoT. If they are not the first there and the throwing team have two at the LoT, they make sure to get their 2nd man there to negate the QTI. Now they can’t have it both ways. They can’t ensure a 2 & 2 situation and then cry foul if the throwing team then go for a quickly taken lineout. If the rest of the red team are “sauntering back assuming a more relaxed set up to the lineout”, then that is their problem. I also agree with NKW regarding calling “QTI no longer an option”. The referee should always use law book terms.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I usually peep my whistle .. which seems to be a fairly standard way of indicating no QTI