[Line out] Quins Vs Stade - Did the correct team take throw in?

Elpablo73

Referees in England
Post Likes
In last night's Quins Stade match, a few minutes in to the second half the Stade 17 has his foot in touch and catches the ball - resultant line-out State throw the ball in! Was this correct?

Link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H28HQU7dI1Y

about 2:30 into the clip

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
its not that clear witrh the granularity of the video and speed of action, but I guess the grey player batted the ball backwards and 17 caught it with a foot in touch - so grey is deemed to have put the ball in touch, white lineout.

Because if the WHIITE player had batted it forwards to be cvaught by white 17 its a potential PK to grey for offside,, and if not, either a scrum for accidental offside or the option for knock-on into touch of a scrum or lineout. As there was no PK and no obvious option asked it only makes sense that the officials believed the ball came off grey. Certainly grey didn't seem unduley bothered by the lineout throw decision.

didds

Last edited:

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
its not that clear witrh the granularity of the video and speed of action, but I guess the grey player batted the ball backwards and 17 caught it with a foot in touch - so grey is deemed to have put the ball in touch, white lineout.

Because if the WHIITE player had batted it forwards to be cvaught by white 17 its a potential PK to grey for offside,, and if not, either a scrum for accidental offside or the option for knock-on into touch of a scrum or lineout. As there was no PK and no obvious option asked it only makes sense that the officials believed the ball came off grey. Certainly grey didn't seem unduley bothered by the lineout throw decision.

didds

Agree not clear, so if grey did touch then as didds says - white foot in touch (just) before ball caught, white throw. Alternative view - I'm not clear that grey touched the ball in the jump, so white knock forward (may be deliberate, so PK), or ball knocked on caught by white, no advantage to grey, PK grey?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
well, the AR is within a couple of metres and the ref about 15m away, so I think its safe to say that they saw it come off grey. there was no discussion between them over it, and the AR had no doubt that it was a white throw. Grey didn't seem at all concerned over the call.

didds

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was at that game - Ben Whitehouse was the ref, and (gloriously) reflink has returned to the stoop, so we can hear what he says.

I didn't notice that incident at all last night! so I guess they didn't discuss it.

BW had a pretty tidy game (I thought) and I liked the way he communicated with the players.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
First time I saw it I could not tell whose arm it came off.
On reviewing the slow motion, I still have no idea whose arm it came off. but I am not sure that White 17 does have his foot in touch before he catches the ball.I think it might have been in the air. But the AR was positioned well and the pictures are not good enough to actually say he got it wrong.

Looked on the quins' message board and nobody mentioned it.
It is not the worst line out call Quins have had in a cup match after all.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
there was another curious line out call, for Quins second try : the AR told to ref to go to the TMO to see whether the Stade ball carrier had stepped into touch momentarily before a blunder that gave possession away to quins who immediately scored.

It's not often a player watches a TMO replay hoping to find that he WAS in touch ! (he wasn't and the try stood)

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
there was another curious line out call, for Quins second try : the AR told to ref to go to the TMO to see whether the Stade ball carrier had stepped into touch momentarily before a blunder that gave possession away to quins who immediately scored.

It's not often a player watches a TMO replay hoping to find that he WAS in touch ! (he wasn't and the try stood)

I saw that too and thought "you would play advantage for a knock on, can you play advantage for a foot in touch?"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I saw that too and thought "you would play advantage for a knock on, can you play advantage for a foot in touch?"

[LAWS]8.3 When the advantage law is not applied
(a) Referee contact. Advantage must not be applied when the ball, or a player carrying it, touches the referee.
(b) Ball out of tunnel. Advantage must not be applied when the ball comes out of either end of the tunnel at a scrum without having been played.
(c) Wheeled scrum. Advantage must not be applied when the scrum is wheeled through more than 90 degrees (so that the middle line has passed beyond a position parallel to the touchline).
(d) Player lifted in the air. Advantage must not be applied when a player in a scrum is lifted in the air or forced upwards and has no support on the ground. The referee must blow the whistle immediately.
(e) After the ball has been made dead. Advantage cannot be played after the ball has been made dead.[/LAWS]

I thought it was a bit feeble of the AR though..

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
For mine, White 14 and Grey 11 both jump for the ball after it bounces, White 14 tries to catch it with two hands, but before he touches it, Grey 11 bats it back with his right hand into the hands of White 17 who was standing with a foot already in touch.

Line-out, White throw-in.