[Law] Quiz #4 .. quick tapping

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
No, it isn't - from the principle at the top of law 12:
"Kick-offs are used to start each half of the match or period of extra-time. Restart kicks resume play after a score or touch-down."

In a sense of course they do restart the game, but law 12 is explicit in its application.

Law 12 is not about quick taps. It's very specific about its definitions and application.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You are forgetting 21.4.J (2017)

KICK TAKEN QUICKLY If the PK or FK is taken so quickly that players of the kickers team are still in front of the ball, they are not penalized for being offside. They must not stop retiring until they are onside...

No I'd not forgotton that. But you'd have thought the question poser would have had it in mind when preparing the "definitive" answer.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
No I'd not forgotton that. But you'd have thought the question poser would have had it in mind when preparing the "definitive" answer.

Indeed I did, and in my definitive answer I dealt with it
At this point it's probably worth mentioning that until quite recently the Law used to say C, players must retire. That's a possibility we must therefore take seriously, but I think we have to reject it : we can't penalise a non-retiring player for an offence that is not in the Law Book , and the same must go for D

And also, let's be fair , I did say in my answer

So for me (and this one is clearly my opinion, not an official answer, as it is not supported by Law, indeed I am advocating that we ignore Law 20.9 . ) I am going to follow convention and play on

Not sure you have fully concentrated on this one Marc ?

Last edited: