[Law] Quiz #7 tackle in goal

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So here is what I think is the answer.

Much as I would like to award the try, I cannot get round Law 13.3

[LAWS]13.3 A player on the ground without the ball is out of the game and must:
Allow opponents who are not on the ground to play or gain possession of the ball.
Not play the ball.
Not tackle or attempt to tackle an opponent. [/LAWS]

If Red is allowed to roll over and play the ball, then so is Blue and this seems to be exactly what 13.3 specificly forbids.

But as Rich NL points out the correct answer is actually neither A nor B (oops)

The correct answer, I believe, is

The ball is lost forward from Blue, so playing advantage to Red

Red commits an offence (playing ball on ground )

So no advantage gained, back to the knock on

Sanction for Blue KO in the in goal : 5m scrum to Red

Anyone seriously disagree ?

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
By the absolute wording of the law book that would be the correct decision. That said I still think I would want to see the dynamics of who stopped moving after the tackle, when and how. Wet pitch, dry pitch, natural roll, artificial roll. I would want to award the try and would be looking for reasons to do so rather than for excuses to chalk it off

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
By the absolute wording of the law book that would be the correct decision. That said I still think I would want to see the dynamics of who stopped moving after the tackle, when and how. Wet pitch, dry pitch, natural roll, artificial roll. I would want to award the try and would be looking for reasons to do so rather than for excuses to chalk it off

I think that sounds sensible , but I think you have to extend the same latitude to both players .. which means you may well have both of them on the floor scrabbling for the ball .. so we end up back at 13.3 again ..

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I wouldn't disagree

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think that, as time goes on and we work through some scenarios , we see that 13.3 has a definite impact on the game

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Allow opponents who are not on the ground to play or gain possession of the ball.
Not play the ball.

If Red is allowed to roll over and play the ball, then so is Blue and this seems to be exactly what 13.3 specificly forbids.

Yeah Im sorry - I do.
I'm awarding the try. The players, spectators, officials and even the sh!tting bird flying over will be expecting a try to be awarded.

I'm certainly not going to reward blues f@ck up in that zone by a small technicality of the player being on their feet in the scoring area. Was their action touching down the ball while off their feet their feet a positive or negative action.
You seem to want to apply the laws so rigidly that you've thrown empathy and feel for the game totally out the window. I would caution such an approach. It's almost like you have no feel for the game and what players are trying to achieve?
Youve played the game..if that was you rolling over to score would you really expect the ref to deny you after Blues monumental f@ck up?

I think that, as time goes on and we work through some scenarios , we see that 13.3 has a definite impact on the game
It will if you keep wanting to apply it so rigidly to the exact letter. You are going to kill the game. In such a dynamic sport you have to to bend a little on the laws.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes

Not play the ball.

I'd certainly err on awarding the try, but would have to see the situation. If the red player rolls several times, or crawls with no attempt to get back to his feet it'd be easier to penalise.

As others have said, not giving it would be a difficult sell, particularly if there was no clear knock on and the other option was a blue PK.

Likewise if blue touched it down in the same way I'd be hard-pressed to penalise him, but again, I'd have to see the situation.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
NB in the scenario the player has to roll over before he can reach out and ground the ball.

That was deliberate, so as to force you to consider 13.3 ..

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
So if a ball is kicked into goal and a player slides to ground it (attacker or defender) you're going to penalise them for playing the ball while off their feet :chin:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
So if a ball is kicked into goal and a player slides to ground it (attacker or defender) you're going to penalise them for playing the ball while off their feet :chin:
Why? He is "going to ground to gather the ball" (and may at the same time play it by grounding it).