[Law] Quiz #9/10 Decisions Decisions

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Another two parter .. as before, quick decision, no Law Spoilers

Q1 Red are awarded a PK, who can communicate the intention to kick at goal ?
A The kicker
B The captain
C The team

Q2 Red score a try with a very short time left on the clock and decline the conversion. Who can communicate the the decision to decline the kick ?
P The try scorer
Q The captain
R The team

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
No basis in law (that I can recall), so I'm going to go with whoever the referee chooses to accept the instruction from (a management issue not a law one), apart from the odd one were the water boy decides because he ran on with the tee :)

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I seem to recall Q1 changed from A to C... Q2 I guess P makes the most sense, in case of a breakaway try and time being of the essence.

Not that sense is always highly prioritised, in the laws, and in practice I'd check with the captain anyway.

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Wild arsed guess AQ

nhughes

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
A or B for one, I had no idea you could decline the opportunity to kick a conversion, you could kick a very quick one with no intent on scoring but I thought you had to at least try.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Here's what I think the answer is --

Scenario 1

[LAWS]8.19 The kicking team must indicate their intention to kick for goal without delay.
8.20 If the team indicates to the referee the intention to kick at goal, they must kick at goal. The intention to kick can be communicated to the referee or signalled by the arrival of the kicking tee or sand, or when the player makes a mark on the ground.[/LAWS]

Answer C The Team - a sensible Law that gives control and discretion to the wise referee

Scenario 2
[LAWS]6.8 A team scoring a try may attempt the conversion or may decline it.
a)The decision to decline the conversion must be relayed by the try scorer to the referee by saying “no kick” after the try is awarded.[/LAWS]

Answer P The try-scorer a cray cray Law that lays a trap for the unwary referee and captain

Captain "We'll decline the conversion, Sir"
Ref : "No, that won't do, skipper, bring the try-scorer over here, he has to say it"
Try-Scorer -"We'll decline the conversion Sir"
Ref "Nope, think hard, what's the magic words?"
Try-Scorer "We'll decline the conversion, please, Sir?"
Ref "Try again"
beep beep
Try-Scorer "Bugger"

(that last bit was a joke!! No, of course you wouldn't manage it like that)

Last edited:

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Scenario 2
[LAWS]6.8 A team scoring a try may attempt the conversion or may decline it.
a)The decision to decline the conversion must be relayed by the try scorer to the referee by saying “no kick” after the try is awarded.[/LAWS]

Answer P The try-scorer

5.8, but yes.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Another two parter .. as before, quick decision, no Law Spoilers

Q1 Red are awarded a PK, who can communicate the intention to kick at goal ?
A The kicker
B The captain
C The team

Q2 Red score a try with a very short time left on the clock and decline the conversion. Who can communicate the the decision to decline the kick ?
P The try scorer
Q The captain
R The team

Q1 - all three because the mere act of sending the kicking T onto the pitch is taken as indication of a kick at goal. I am (obviously) including the coaches as part of "The Team"

Q2 - P

Last edited: