Rare penalty

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
Refereed a really enjoyable game on Saturday between 2 sides out to enjoy themselves. They understood that I was working to prevent penalties and that I would only penalise if I thought the offence was material. The first penalty did not come until 21 mins of the game had elapsed, there were only 3 penalties in the first half and only 9 or so in the whole game.

Can anyone beat 21mins to first penalty?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
saw a panel ref do a colts game last Sunday.................. 1 PK in the whole game and if he'd held his whistle a bit longer could have got away with out giving that one too :clap: (easy this reffin lark :wink:)

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
saw a panel ref do a colts game last Sunday.................. 1 PK in the whole game and if he'd held his whistle a bit longer could have got away with out giving that one too :clap: (easy this reffin lark :wink:)
Was this the same one who doesn't know his laws?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
but you're confirming that there is a panel ref who doesn't know the laws.

interesting...

Mat 04

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Clive Norling refereed a senior Welsh game once and did not give a penalty all game.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
When Newport beat Don Clarke (aka All Blacks touring team) 3-0 they did not give away a single kickable penalty all game.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Refereed a really enjoyable game on Saturday between 2 sides out to enjoy themselves. They understood that I was working to prevent penalties and that I would only penalise if I thought the offence was material. The first penalty did not come until 21 mins of the game had elapsed, there were only 3 penalties in the first half and only 9 or so in the whole game.

Can anyone beat 21mins to first penalty?

I coached a referee who didn't blow his first penalty until the 29th minute and only blew 8 for the game. Both teams showed to up to play good, structured and disciplined rugby. It was a great game to watch with the home side winning 34-33 after a drop goal with the last play.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I coached a referee who didn't blow his first penalty until the 29th minute and only blew 8 for the game. Both teams showed to up to play good, structured and disciplined rugby. It was a great game to watch with the home side winning 34-33 after a drop goal with the last play.

I bet he wasn't english? :pepper::booty:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Queenslander.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
When Newport beat Don Clarke (aka All Blacks touring team) 3-0 they did not give away a single kickable penalty all game.

Great - just look at the feast of running rugby that resulted!:biggrin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have seen two referees this season award a minimal amount of penalties this season.

One was a L5 referee doing a good quality Schools 1st XV match, where the players on both teams were well disciplined (one shool's Master in Charge is a Premiership Referee :biggrin:), and the referee was excellent in use of early preventative management and in use of advantage (and the players good enough to use it).

The second was an ELRA3 referee doing his third match - the tackles just weren't managed, eyes on ball facing rucks & scrums so missed all the offsides, and some wide old lags in 4th XVs up to hidden tricks elskwhere. He was totally safe, all had an enjoyable match and he has learnt from the experience (so I was told by the adviser who watched the next match) - which is what it is all about.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have seen an experienced ref do a game with very, very few penalties.

Everytime the ball went to ground and wasn't coming out immediately, he called unplayable and had a scrum.

Very few penalties, lots of scrums. :chin:

gwgs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Haha, that'd be one way.

RLRef1984

Referees in England
Post Likes
In one of the early seasons of Superleague RL, a referee went a whole game without a penalty