Recent Mod activity -explanation

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Some questions have been raised about some recent modding.

Some background may help: when the forum got big enough, Robbie asked some people to become Moderators. He asked a range of people who would be able to give global coverage but who he felt would be able to apply the right kind of modding touch – a bit like a referee with good management.

Historically, we have tried, as you can see, to have a light touch and only intervene in one of two situations:
When a forum member asks us to
When we feel that in some way the community standards, explicit or otherwise, have not been met.

We have now come to a third situation, where no single incident has met the critical mass of being mod-worthy, but a pattern of behavior has meant that some action has needed to be taken. This is a place of strong personalities, but it is ultimately one that is rugby oriented, and that means that respect should underpin how we interact. A joke here or a joke there – generally no problem. Sharp elbows between people who know each other, or are friends outside here – again, no problem. But consistent elbows at someone who you know doesn’t like the elbows – that I am afraid is a problem. You remember the scrum half who never does any single thing that really mandates a yellow card but is somehow disrupting the game to the extent that he needs very heavy management? That is where we are just now. As things improve, so the degree of modding will lift.

To be explicit – there have been complaint about Browner, and from more than just one person. We’ve also been able to observe his behavior aside from the complaints. He isn’t banned, or suspended. He is simply being kept on a short leash just now

As a general plea: let’s keep threads on track. If they are going to go off topic, let’s at least keep it relevant in some degree to the OP.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thanks for that Simon that's helpful to know (and Merry Xmas to all).
I think most of us can accept the role of the mods and their attempts to keep the site a civil one.

I guess my biggest complaint is that there lacks consistency on when a mod will swoop in an affect a thread and effectively censor it. We all know that players want the ref to be consistent in their rulings, and there will be variations between refs, the same applies here for mods. We all just like to see some consistency. It often disturbs me that each mod has a different threshold than another and sometimes they're playing the man and not the ball, just because they feel offended when others are not. My other concern is the mod not providing a reason for modifying a post. I think it is only fair to all members that when another member's post is edited or thread shutdown a reasonable reason for it is provided. Without one it looks like the mod is just flexing their site-muscles without justification. I'm not saying they are, just saying that's what it looks like.

Do the mods check with each other as a reasonableness test on their thoughts before taking action, a jury process if you will, or do they just individually and unilaterally just make that call and take action they deem fit? I respect that the tyranny of distance and time zones that the site operates does make mod consultation difficult but surely there can be some rules about what will result in immediate action and what can be consulted between mods to a decision? For eg instances of overt vilifying someone for their race, creed, religion, or sex can result in instant censorship, while out of hand pissing contests and elbowing can get dealt with differently.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Just to reassure you all that the Mods do time consulting, checking and discussing issues that may or may not need moderation, and try to be as consistent as we can. But we are all individuals and come from one global culture of rugby, but many different backgrounds, cultures, countries, and personal viewpoints.

Sometimes there are incidents that require immediate action such as potentially libellous or defamatory statements, obvious trolls / hackers, etc but in my experience the Mods prefer to check with each other first.

Robbie asked us to do the job over ten years ago, if he asks for me to stand down and let others do it I am happy to do so - like my reffing and match observing I do Modding on here as a volunteer and quite frankly have better things to do with my time than pander to the over-sensitivities of the few, but regard RRF as an important global resource for rugby and so am very happy to share my experiences and thoughts for consideration as a poster, and act as a Mod very occasionally when needed to rein back inappropriate posters.

Last edited:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I trust the moderators to roll it as they see fit. However, I agree with menace that a post that explains the action would be helpful.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
There is a host of double standards being actioned across this site, especially when opinions merely differ. However it seems that if I point one out I'm then immediately targeted and smeared by certain posters. Ian Cook commenced name calling, & then when I objected commenced what seemed to me to be a personally vindictive 'Moderation' of me via PM threat.

In the most recent example Simon Smith (another esteemed Mod) called me a "cretinous little man", and IMO i should not have to receive this sort of abuse from any poster.

I've watched 'inner sanctum' politics in operation in my business life, and Ive no hunger to be subjected in my hobby sport.

Clearly some people don't quite allign to my level of rugby humour, or maybe even take a personal dislike of my style of presentation, or even my subject discussion, but that doesn't mean that I need to align to every posters personal opinions of world rugby matters.

This site has proven to be valuable learning resource for me, and I hope to continue doing so, although if the extreamly "short leash" recently tugged at by mod ddjamo ( where i was publicly warned without any justification, or apology for his apparent 'SH' error) is anything to go by then 'Browner strangulation' is the inevitable conclusion of a tightening of this gagging mechanism.

Resolution,
in 2015 I will try to tiptoe around posters who i suspect or know to be very sensitive or overtly precious about their rugby opinion. If anyone thinks they fall into that category then PM me and i will ensure that I do not reply to your posts ongoing ( as I no longer do to some ).

If anyone wishes me to leave the site? then again PM me, and if there is quantative demand then I will do so of my own accord (Ian Cook, Simon Smith Ddjamo or PhilE need not PM me, your positions are publicly noted and as such are obvious to even me, however if I'm incorrectly guessing then please also advise via PM)

Happy xmas and happy new year, to anyone minded to be unoffended by such a wish, alternates should simply ignore it.

Yours in rugby and volunteer refereeing,
Browner

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I enjoy most of your input, and it is near impossible for me to take offence on an internet forum. Knock yourself out in my direction, and I hope this resolves otherwise there will be a lot more dying threads or some that wouldn't even have started. Mods will never please everyone though.

Merry Christmas to all.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
To answer one of the questions: yes, we try very hard to manage a jury process - my post was reviewed and approved by other Mods.

Browne - I'll get back in touch when I have more time (IE not surrounded by peepul) to put more flesh on what I stated above.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Browne - I'll get back in touch when I have more time (IE not surrounded by peepul) to put more flesh on what I stated above.

No thanks, you've published your personal feelings toward me on at least two separate occasions, accordingly in my eyes you have become a 'prejudiced' mod, that I will not engage with from hereafter.

JJ10

Referees in England
Post Likes
it is near impossible for me to take offence on an internet forum.

Merry Christmas to all.

This. :bday:

I know nothing of any previous disagreements between individuals and really CBA to investigate them, but it seems like all sides need to take a step back and chill out. After all, this is a truly brilliant site put together and maintained by volunteers; it would be a shame to ruin the feel of the place. My two pence worth.

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
This. :bday:

I know nothing of any previous disagreements between individuals and really CBA to investigate them, but it seems like all sides need to take a step back and chill out. After all, this is a truly brilliant site put together and maintained by volunteers; it would be a shame to ruin the feel of the place. My two pence worth.

Totally agree.

This is the ONLY forum I look at or contribute to and it has given me huge amounts,certainly far more than I ever feel I can contribute. But, of course we are dealing with human beings and it can be the place where people strut their stuff, or ride on a bit of pomposity. That's the nature of open internet forums. But, on the whole I have certainly felt it a welcoming and warm place where you can admit your cock ups and get some good advice. And that is worth a lot. I particularly love the fact that we are all on the same level in many ways and as we know pretty much nothing about each other,we can just concentrate on the reffing side of things!

So,yes, let's not damage that.