Red Card

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
In more than 30 years of refereeing I gave my first red card this last weekend. I did not feel a happier man for it but all the coaches told me that I did the right thing and that I really had no other option. It occurred in an U16 cup game - an age group I have always enjoyed refereeing and so doubly disappointing.

How did others feel when they gave their first red?

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
In more than 30 years of refereeing I gave my first red card this last weekend. I did not feel a happier man for it but all the coaches told me that I did the right thing and that I really had no other option. It occurred in an U16 cup game - an age group I have always enjoyed refereeing and so doubly disappointing.

How did others feel when they gave their first red?

I've given a few about 4. How did I feel? Nothing really, saw it and as they say you know it's a red card, you issue a red card. Thinks it's vital that as the ref you stay calm and issue it calmly with an explanation.

So don't feel happy or sad would rather I didn't have to it but it's the player who commits the act of foul play.

What happened in your situation Stuart.

(as an aside that many years reffing and no red card makes me wonder if you only ref angels!)

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
my first reaction is "Mother of Chr1st, I cant believe he/she did that" (Whistle Loud-n-hard)

Then it's "Ok, yeah, it happened, calm the f**k down" (a "take a breath" moment to ensure the players arent going to start brawling)

Then it's "OK, you're cool, make sure players dont retaliate"

Then it's "OK, now move the players away and deal with any injuries" (I am hoping the player is ok, but also hoping there's medical personel there so I can get a bit more chillaxed and talk to my ARs about the incident, though it's a pretty brief chat "I saw this, yes that's what I saw too, ok thanks"

Then it's a "remember, only talk to the captain, deal with the facts, and pull out ol' red". (No option, dangerous play, reckless, etc are phrases that come to mind).

Then get on with it til the end of the game, by which point my trustee #4 should have most of the paperwork filled for me to write the report!

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
my first reaction is "Mother of Chr1st, I cant believe he/she did that" (Whistle Loud-n-hard)

Then it's "Ok, yeah, it happened, calm the f**k down" (a "take a breath" moment to ensure the players arent going to start brawling)

Then it's "OK, you're cool, make sure players dont retaliate"

Then it's "OK, now move the players away and deal with any injuries" (I am hoping the player is ok, but also hoping there's medical personel there so I can get a bit more chillaxed and talk to my ARs about the incident, though it's a pretty brief chat "I saw this, yes that's what I saw too, ok thanks"

Then it's a "remember, only talk to the captain, deal with the facts, and pull out ol' red". (No option, dangerous play, reckless, etc are phrases that come to mind).

Then get on with it til the end of the game, by which point my trustee #4 should have most of the paperwork filled for me to write the report!

Bryan

That is a very useful template. Is it something you have personally developed or is it something that you have been guided towards from mentors, assessors etc?

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Can you at least some sort of Emoticon here!?

My process would be (in emoticon form):

:holysheep:

:wtf:

:shrug:

:knuppel2:

:norc:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Can you at least some sort of Emoticon here!?

My process would be (in emoticon form):

:holysheep:

:wtf:

:shrug:

:knuppel2:

:norc:
:canada: :clap: :love: :biggrin: pmsl

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
What did I feel when I gave out my first red, my first red was actually in my 2nd game I gave the kid two yellow cards. How did I feel not sure actually it was just a card.

When I gave my first straight red it was one of those you know it is going to be a red without a doubt in my mind. I didn't feel happy or sad, it just was the way it was.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
My first RC was in my first L10 match about 3-4 years ago. Leeds club vs another Leeds Club.

It was just after half time for a stamp across the back of the neck. It was the home club hooker and I got loads of shit from the sizable crowd - mostly shaven headed tatooed numbskulls with "illegal" dogs - Dr STU and the Yorkshire refs will have relished their visits there! :wow: Home team lost and had 1RC and 3YCs.

I was very nervous (first L10 and venue) and I think I froze. I certainly wasn't hard enough, quick enough :biggrin: and ended up playing catch up. I think I should have given a RC earlier but couldn't indentify the culprit in a big brawl. The game was really tough for me but I took a lot from it. It was one of those "rabbit in the headlights" matches (I thought) but luckily I came out unscathed. Away coach said I did well - this isn't an easy place to referee - although he would, he won!!:biggrin:

The last time I went there was to watch my son play and the referee that day (a colleague from SY) had a worse time than I did.:biggrin:

How did I feel? - when the final whistle went - about 83 years old.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
my only RC was last season -- and TBH I felt sorry for the kid.

there was a bit of a gneral mass scuffle, handbags and pushing and so on, I blew my whistle loudly, a coach came on (it was close to the touchline), and everyone stopped.

a second after everyone stopped, a prop, who had run over from 20 metres away, finally arrived on the scene and thumped a random opponent in the ear right in front of me. It would have been almost funny if I hadn't had to get my card out, but I didn't really see I had an alternative. When I sent him off he cried :sad:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
First RC, funny enough for a tackle where a player was lifted and dropped on his neck/head ( i know it's not funny but...)

I saw it seperated teams and took a good 20-15 secs before i gave the RC, went through a lot of what Bryan had suggested (not the AR bit), for some reason i fealt nervous about giving it, but after the game was told that it was correct and good to see a ref follwo the IRB guidlines (they'd just come out!), since then 5 others, all a case of "you d1ck" :norc: see ya!

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well I suppose I'd better recount what happened as I started this thread.

U16 cup game. After 5 mins it is quite clear that black are the better team and are likely to win. After 10 mins (or so) there is a late tackle by black on a red player kicking the ball. I penalise it and call the black captain over to emphasise the need to get their timing right - no more late tackles. At 15 mins there is a scuffle behind my back. Apparently the black captain kneed and head butted a red player, red payers retaliate. However I'm across the other side of the pitch with my back to it. I don't have ARs - just TJs with an interest in one or other of the teams. I call both skippers olver, give them a lecture about discipline and setting an example. Off they go to talk to their teams. It is clear that the red skipper has got the message and talks to his side about playing in the spirit etc. I only catch part of the black skippers tirade to smash the oppos off the ball etc. If I'd heard all his speech I might have felt on safer ground in talking to him again.

Two mins later a black back row gives a late hit on the red fly half. I pull out the yellow card. He starts to walk than turns to me, smiles, says sarcastically "Thanks" and gives me the thumbs up. That's another yellow - two for the price of one - red card conversion kit activated, goodbye. His coach was livid with him. After the game the coach fully supported my actions and said I had no other option. The yoof in question did come up to me an apologise - but sorry is not good enough and the report of course went in.

In the end black ran out comfortable winners even with only 14 men. I think the lad's brains had descended somewhere near the top of his legs.

Souljahs_Coach

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
When I sent him off he cried :sad:

Funny enough, on the couple of occasions I've had to use the RC, the kid making an early exit cried too. I do feel sorry for them, but if they are seeing red then they haven't exactly given me an option.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Time for a bit of balance! Doing a schools match last winter, Year 9s, and I've got one of these ones that happen quite often where one school is a rugby-playing school that's decided to have a League team for the extra matches, and the other isn't; so while they're both new to the code, the first school has already got some basic rugby skills and they're dominating.

Newer school hits it up, the guy gets stood up in the tackle, and the nearest teammate to him is their fat prop. Tiny little back from the winning team decides it would be a really good idea to, instead of helping with the tackle, start taunting the fat prop about the score (and his weight, and whatever else he can think of) like he's on the soccer field, obviously he wants to start one of those forehead-pushing sessions that soccer players like so much. Fat prop looks at him like he's got two heads. Little back looks confused, is just about to give up and run away, when fat prop throws an absolutely beautiful right hand, smack on the jaw, and irons him out.

This player did not cry. His exact words when I called him out were "yes sir, but it was worth it!" I'm still not entirely sure how I didn't laugh.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... fat prop throws an absolutely beautiful right hand, smack on the jaw, and irons him out. This player did not cry. His exact words when I called him out were "yes sir, but it was worth it!" ....
Keep an eye out for him; he'll go far. :biggrin:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
:)

one time I did lose my dignity by giggling was u13s and the two hookers decided they were going to sledge each other at line outs (I guess they had seen it on the TV).. after two or three LO they were starting to winding each up, so at the next one I spoke to both of them and said
"Look it was funny when you started, but now it's getting nasty, and I've had enough, no more from either of you OK?"
'yes sir'
'yes sir'
"Good. Now line out red"
[throw not straight]
- "nice throw fatty!!"

I gave a PK, but spoilt the moment rather by laughing.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have only given a few RC's over an 11 year reffing career so remember them well.

My first RC was in a L8 League match Southampton v Purley John Fisher, two big physical teams with all the usual handbags & issues associated. I was still on my way up the grades so probably second year reffing in 2001.

I had been working hard to keep players on their feet at ruck, and had given both skippers a final warning to keep their players up. Southampton #6 goes down on ball in ruck, I signal and call penalty advantage, when a Purley forward (#1) swings boot at him connecting with force on shoulder, boot riding up to neck and across cheek (leaving red stud mark line).

World War III breaks out, but loud whistles eventually separate the teams, send them both 10 m back from #6 lying on ground. I am telling myself to be calm, but firstly am worried about #6, who now has physio with him. He eventually gets up and neck/facial stud mark is visible to all.

I knew it was RC for the Purley player as soon as his boot connected, and as I am with #6 being treated I realise that he has to go for a YC too. So I call over Southampton skipper to #6 who is ok and back on his feet to say "deliberate killing of ball in ruck, had a final team warning so YC 10 minutes please #6".

Telling the Southampton skipper to stay with me, I ask Purley skipper and #1 to join us and once there tell them #6 has been YC for deliberate going to ground in ruck after warnings, I was playing advantage, but #1 you took law into your own hands and used boot in a dangerous manner and connected with shoulder & head areas of #6. RC dismissal for your actions. Please leave the pitch."

Once he had gone I read riot act and laid it out for both skippers that any further incidents would attract further sanctions and all options would be open to me. To conclude I said "Turnover PK against you Purley" - no secondary signals (ooops)

My learnings were :

1. you know a red is a red
2. keep calm and run through everything in your mind - you may be shaking inside and in turmoil but never show it
3. don't play advantage in such situations in a physical match and flashpoints are easy to trigger
4. use signals as well as speaking to dismissed players / skippers so touchline crowd can see what you are doing too / talking about !

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Everything Bryan and SimonT say.

I've never had a mental problem with any of the RCs I've issued. Stonewall, every single one of them.

I did have that Hampshire Police once.
Who make a great show of "our discipline is great Sir. We never start a fight or throw the first punch"
Uh huh. Warning lights starting to go off.

Sure enough, a fist goes flying - attached to a Hampshire Police arm.
"C'm 'ere. And the Captain"
Before I can open my mouth "sorry Sir. He fell down the stairs"

I couldn't help it. I did giggle. Which did somewhat reduce the impact the admonishment I was issuing.