Ref watch..

writetodave

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Hi all, thinking ahead to the new season and am treating myself to a new watch. Any recommendations ?
Anyone using the Spintso Pro?
Thanks

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I've got a Spintso. It's ok - bit bulky - but does a job. Eats batteries but I signed up for lifetime replacement from Timpson's so I've more than recouped my money on that score. :wink:

It's a bugger to get into without a set of watch screwdrivers

I'd guess in the time I've had mine that Garmin type stuff might've overtaken "normal" watches but not sure.

I'd shop around and/or seek some more advice.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I like the Timex Ironman range.
Much cheaper

The one thing I would like a spitso for is the vibrate when paused feature

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I've still got the basic Casio referee watch that was available 5-years ago - and still on the original batteries :eek:)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've still got the basic Casio referee watch that was available 5-years ago - and still on the original batteries :eek:)

Have you never got it wet?
I reffed one game in a storm , and two days later the watch died ..

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I like the Timex Ironman range.
Much cheaper

The one thing I would like a spitso for is the vibrate when paused feature

I use 2 x Timex Ironman range...1 on each wrist.

Edit....changed the battery after 8 years just in case!!

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Timex Ironman counting down for time remaining (vibrating alarm would be nice if anyone can recommend anything that would tick these two boxes), and Apple Watch on other which does elapsed time / score and also activity tracking - have a multi timer app for yellow cards etc but it's very unreliable as I never hear the alarm (don't think it vibrates) so I don't use it much.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Spintso and Apple watch here.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The Spintso watches have always intrigued me but never had a chance to play, do they have the ability to set, see remaining, and have an alarm for yellow cards (at least 1) in parallel to doing the normal stuff, or is it still a case of scribbling the time on your scorecard and doing mental maths - that's the last bit of automation I've not got perfected yet.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The Spintso watches have always intrigued me but never had a chance to play, do they have the ability to set, see remaining, and have an alarm for yellow cards (at least 1) in parallel to doing the normal stuff, or is it still a case of scribbling the time on your scorecard and doing mental maths - that's the last bit of automation I've not got perfected yet.

I have tried various watches to time yellow cards and none of them have worked successfully. Especially when you get more than one overlapping. Now I just write down the Time back on, on my scorecard (as opposed to the time he went off). There's always a friendly coach there to remind you when times up :biggrin:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have tried various watches to time yellow cards and none of them have worked successfully. Especially when you get more than one overlapping. Now I just write down the Time back on, on my scorecard (as opposed to the time he went off). There's always a friendly coach there to remind you when times up :biggrin:

True, just striving to be accurate, by the time you have multiple cards and / out lot's of stoppages whilst the card is in play it gets touch to be accurate, but I guess only our version of the truth counts!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
For a YC you have to get your card and pencil out, to note down the number . It's not extra work to also write down the time they are allowed back on. (handier than the time they went off). I think setting a separate alarm would be undue delay

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
For a YC you have to get your card and pencil out, to note down the number . It's not extra work to also write down the time they are allowed back on. (handier than the time they went off). I think setting a separate alarm would be undue delay

No, you do that anyway, I'm more thinking about the 'how long on the card sir?' calls, if you can have a quick glance at your watch / press a button you can give a quick accurate answer, else you potentially need to look at you score card and do some mental maths, not always appropriate thing to do. If I can answer a question quickly and easily then I want to.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
There's always a friendly coach there to remind you when times up :biggrin:

In my experience that friendly coach starts asking about the card about 4 minutes after the player goes to the bin.

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I picked up a used spintso for 50 quid on ebay. New battery and its good as new. It's so nice to use if it breaks I will pay full price for a new one!

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes

And you need to know time off and score at the time (at least you do in Scotland) so I get the name too and put it all on a page in my notebook that I record the score in.

i have a Lorus watch which has a timer set for 40 mins and stop watch which I stop if required and it also has hands and I note the start time of each half in case I forget to restart the stopwatch.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I have tried various watches to time yellow cards and none of them have worked successfully. Especially when you get more than one overlapping. Now I just write down the Time back on, on my scorecard (as opposed to the time he went off). There's always a friendly coach there to remind you when they think that times up :biggrin:

sorry ...

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Hi all, thinking ahead to the new season and am treating myself to a new watch. Any recommendations ?
Anyone using the Spintso Pro?
Thanks

We could arrange a loan before the start of the season if you wished to give it a try. It took some getting used to.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
A tempted to resurrect my idea for a decent Apple Watch app for refs, if I find some of that mythical ‘spare time’ - what features would you want from your perfect ref watch?