Ref watch..

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
A tempted to resurrect my idea for a decent Apple Watch app for refs, if I find some of that mythical ‘spare time’ - what features would you want from your perfect ref watch?

-- Vibrate while paused
-- are you sure? check if you try and stop the timer before you get to zero (as it's likely a mistake)
-- ten minute alarm button (for YC) i.e. press it once and you get a bleep ten minutes later (playing time)
-- watch keeps going after getting to zero (starts counting up now)
-- LARGE font option
-- waterproof (and buttons, taps whatever all work in the rain)

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Basic Timex on one wrist (40 minute timer that I stop/start sat time-off), Garmin of some sort on the other wrist, stopwatch which I leave running (and cause as a guesstimate of time if I press the wrong button on my timex and reset instead of pause!) and for some activity tracking. I like to know how far I've run in a game.

Tempted by an Apple Watch as people say you can use it to keep score, must look into that as Scottish weather makes writing very hard some days.

writetodave

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Thanks for the offer...I just heard that another local ref just bought one so I’ll tap him up for a borrow for a game or two ??

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Basic Timex on one wrist (40 minute timer that I stop/start sat time-off), Garmin of some sort on the other wrist, stopwatch which I leave running (and cause as a guesstimate of time if I press the wrong button on my timex and reset instead of pause!) and for some activity tracking. I like to know how far I've run in a game.

Tempted by an Apple Watch as people say you can use it to keep score, must look into that as Scottish weather makes writing very hard some days.

I have exactly the same .
Timex on 40 min count down
Garmin GPS , on other wrist for tracking and clock
Spare Timex in bag in case battery dies (which haopened twice to me, last time at a Cup Final !)

At kick off I note down the time in case of cocj ups

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Touch screen on the Apple watch doesn't like the rain either, if there's water on the screen or your fingers it can give erroneous actions.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've got a Garmin Fenix 3HR and it's brilliant, does everything I need it to do and more, plus you can set it to countdown if you want but it will vibrate when time is up for you.

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I've got a pair of reliable £10 Casios, one for each wrist (stopping clock on left, running clock on right). They have each had one battery change in 16 years, and are pretty much indestructible. Call me a dinosaur if you want, but I don't see the need for anything fancier!

taff426

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I use a Garmin Vivoactive HR for the running clock/GPS etc.

I also use a watch designed for referees of the ‘other game’... from https://www.refscorer.com/product/refscorer-digital-watch/

Instead if county no the score, I use it to count penalties I award. Found it a really useful watch for PK count, also as stop start on a countdown (multiple countdown setting so also useful for age grade games or extra time.......)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
That is a very interesting looking watch ... I think I might get one

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
A tempted to resurrect my idea for a decent Apple Watch app foor refs, if I find some of that mythical ‘spare time’ - what features would you want from your perfect ref watch?

Feel free to use this for anything it’s worth (or to join me in ironing the bugs and the bits that clearly show I was learning swift at the time)
https://github.com/mcroker/refwatch

I was pleased with the UI - but there are a couple of bugs. In particular I don’t think context is handled properly in particular when you return to the main screen after sanctioning a player

Last edited:

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Touch screen on the Apple watch doesn't like the rain either, if there's water on the screen or your fingers it can give erroneous actions.

This is basically why I switched back to a simple sports watch... Apple Watch is very hard to use once you are soggy

Last edited:

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I use a Fox 40 plus a cheap Cassio - nothing special but has a big display and complements my skin colour ;)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i really like the idea of the refscorer, to keep track of PK awarded.. that's a great feature

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
The whistle was immediately donated to my wife’s primary school. Can we focus on my iPhone app for which I open sourced the code above instead ?