Ref watch..

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It's on a lanyard so either I guess, but they also sell (soon) a ref wallet with cards that has a clip on the back to hold this gadget.
https://www.refscorer.com/product/refs-game/

I know as a coach that one the big things high flying referees moving up the levels have a problem with is keeping track of the penalty count trend. It's easy if there a re three quick penalties in succession, but the overall trend is something a lot of refs have a problem with when they get to a certain level. Not sure if this is the answer but its worth a try for five quid.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I agree .
I feel like I know that I have PK red a lot more often than blue, but I would love to be able to swap that for numbers .. Red 8 PK blue 3

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I agree .
I feel like I know that I have PK red a lot more often than blue, but I would love to be able to swap that for numbers .. Red 8 PK blue 3

Are you classing yourself as high flying referee :wink: :biggrin:

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
This thread gave me the push I needed to get my apple-watch app back up to speed.

It's still very much beta status - but I am quite proud of the interface which tracks: game-time, elapsed-time, score, sin-bins (player & time), PK count (recent, this-half, total), cautions and red-cards.
RefWatchUIDesign.jpg

It's not yet on the app-store, but I will figure out how to do that at some point. In the meanwhile the code is still here
https://github.com/mcroker/refwatch

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It's on a lanyard so either I guess, but they also sell (soon) a ref wallet with cards that has a clip on the back to hold this gadget.
https://www.refscorer.com/product/refs-game/

Well I bought one of these for a fiver, arrived in a couple of days. It's really good apart from one small issue...it only counts up to 9 :chin:

So I will have to find a football ref who I can give it to :sad:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
He he !
Or give fewer PK ?

Actually it will be ok , just go round the clock to 0 again, you would know in your head that 2 actually means 12 .. you would know you had given 12 PK not 2

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
If you want to count PK in realtime and not worry about resetting/recalibrating then refscore do a watch

https://www.refscorer.com/product/refscorer-digital-watch/

I borrowed this from a colleague for one match last year and found it a real help - normally I rely on marking the score card for each PK. The only disadvantage of the watch method is that it doesn't allow you to record number and offence - thereby getting trends.
The real positive was that even if I gave advantage I could record this as a PK - if the non-offending team took and played out the advantage

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If you want to count PK in realtime and not worry about resetting/recalibrating then refscore do a watch

https://www.refscorer.com/product/refscorer-digital-watch/

I borrowed this from a colleague for one match last year and found it a real help - normally I rely on marking the score card for each PK. The only disadvantage of the watch method is that it doesn't allow you to record number and offence - thereby getting trends.
The real positive was that even if I gave advantage I could record this as a PK - if the non-offending team took and played out the advantage

Anyone else used this as a general watch for timing, and more specifically for penalty counts (does it go to more than 10). I've been using an app on my Apple watch with some success, but it's too many button pushes to record (switch app, press etc), and I have to look at it which is a distraction. Imagining replacing my Timex old timer with this and almost blindly being able to record penalties as I can feel the buttons - any flaws in this plan?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Anyone else used this as a general watch for timing, and more specifically for penalty counts (does it go to more than 10). I've been using an app on my Apple watch with some success, but it's too many button pushes to record (switch app, press etc), and I have to look at it which is a distraction. Imagining replacing my Timex old timer with this and almost blindly being able to record penalties as I can feel the buttons - any flaws in this plan?

Yes I have one and its a great watch.
Count up or down.
And I keep the score on it (as a check against my card, plus I can tell the score at a glance without having to add it up) but you could equally keep a penalty count on it instead (it goes past 10), which I might have to do if the new law trial comes in about counting them.

Good value for money as well.

It would be perfect for what you want.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Yes I have one and its a great watch.
Count up or down.
And I keep the score on it (as a check against my card, plus I can tell the score at a glance without having to add it up) but you could equally keep a penalty count on it instead (it goes past 10), which I might have to do if the new law trial comes in about counting them.

Good value for money as well.

It would be perfect for what you want.

Perfect, I'll take a punt, happy keeping score on paper + apple watch (same app gives me time elapsed as a fallback), had to have a really accurate penalty count yesterday (Girls cup, if a draw at full time it was tries scored (always the same as they can't kick!), and then least tries conceded) which added a lot or pressure to the accuracy of that count.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Agree with PhilE. It counts up to loads!!

However, be aware that you can only add to the PK (score) when the timer is running. If do the "watch off" and press the relevant button then the penalty is not counted.

At Half-Time when you reset the timer, make sure to only press the 'Reset' button for no more than 3 Seconds otherwise your penalty count will also get reset.

I love the ref scorer because you can - if you so desire - press the button on the run if you also want to include Penalty Advantages.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Well I bought one of these for a fiver, arrived in a couple of days. It's really good apart from one small issue...it only counts up to 9 :chin:

So I will have to find a football ref who I can give it to :sad:

I am trying it out. I reset it to 0 at half time. Although I guess if you go past 9 you will remember to add the "ten".

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I am trying it out. I reset it to 0 at half time. Although I guess if you go past 9 you will remember to add the "ten".

Let us know how you get on please.
Counter in one hand, whistle in the other?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I use ref mitts http://www.whistleitsportsgloves.com/ The whistle is attached to the left hand glove and the counter to the right. I've used it for 5 games so far. I include "advantage" calls so I'm always higher than the advisors count.

When you run fully grasp the Whistle / counter when you need to write you let the appropriate hand "drop" the whistle so you can write. Tried it first is some slow (expectedly) games. Used it today in a fast BUCS game with no issues.

The gloves also help if you have circulation problems.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Counter worked well again today. hardly notice it until I use it.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The refscorer watch was a positive for me today, apart from not being able to record a couple with time off, but that was easily managed. Confident that my penalty count was much more accurate, especially in the second half when players get a bit excited and give you a lot more distractions.