Referee involved in fabricating a league score

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Blackberry makes reference to this in another thread, but as it involved a club I once played for I thought I would make specific reference to it.

http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/14...en_called_off/

http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co...icate-match-with-Chipping-Norton-28042016.htm

The original game between Chipping Norton and Slough in England's 8th tier was called off due to a waterlogged pitch. The rematch was again defeated by the weather, and I believe that on both occasions the Slough team made the 130-mile round trip to hosts Chipping Norton. After the second cancellation, the teams and the ref agreed to pretend that the game had taken place, and was a 24-24 draw with both teams gaining a 4-try bonus point. The impetus seems to have been solely to avoid a third lengthy round trip for the visitors, as both were solidly mid-table and in danger of neither glory nor relegation.

When the league uncovered what had taken place, both teams were docked 10 league points - which caused the hosts to be relegated. The referee was suspended for his part in the fraud, but seems to have taken the ignominy as a cue to retire.

While I can understand the impulse that made someone suggest the idea, I will forever be at a loss to explain how it went from there to actual execution. Let's hope the lessons are learned.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Having now had some more background to the story it does at least explain things A little clearer.

I would have thought a gentlemen's agreement to share any fines by Slough giving a walkover for the subsequent third trip might have been less obvious. There would probably have been a loss of points for slough - but it wasn't promotion/relegation critical anyway.

didds

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think we might muster more sympathy if they had fabricated a score of 10-10 rather than taking the opportunity to award themselves a bonus point each while they were at it...

Last edited:

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
One has to call into question the sanity of the Chipping Norton representative who, on both occasions, deemed the pitch playable after a morning inspection.

That is, of course, assuming such a duty actually took place.

There are more questions than answers I suspect.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
So they got the result 50% correct (including Try bonus)!