Referee knows everyone by name

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I accidentally started watching a Rugby League game between England and Samoa. And at just about every tackle the referee would shout instructions, not that weird, but what I though was odd was that he used the players name. Is this normal for League referees.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I accidentally started watching a Rugby League game between England and Samoa. And at just about every tackle the referee would shout instructions, not that weird, but what I though was odd was that he used the players name. Is this normal for League referees.
It's normal at elite level. You'll hear a player's number used precisely zero times throughout the NRL season. I don't like it.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
The thinking is that players are almost certain to know what their name is and are much more likely to respond to it than the number, which can change. I've had good results on the touchline from learning the wingers' names and using them to pass messages infield; "hey, Dave" works a lot better than "hey, number 2".

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The thinking is that players are almost certain to know what their name is and are much more likely to respond to it than the number, which can change. I've had good results on the touchline from learning the wingers' names and using them to pass messages infield; "hey, Dave" works a lot better than "hey, number 2".

Assuming he is called Dave and not Rodney.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I refereed teams where they use numbers themselves, as they don't know each other's name...

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I have a reverse issue. My name is relatively unusual so I regulary get players calling me Ciaran during the game.
Having reffed and played against the same teams for 30 years, they do get to know you.
I do not have a problem with this And i do not want to pedantic and insist that the call me ref or sir.
I do tell visiting teams from out of the county that they will hear people talking to me by name bit to be fair even the teams from out of the county often do as I've reffed at this level for a number of years.
Any thoughts on this?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I've had good results on the touchline from learning the wingers' names and using them to pass messages infield; "hey, Dave" works a lot better than "hey, number 2".

Why is the winger (Dave) wearing the hookers shirt????

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
I have a reverse issue. My name is relatively unusual so I regulary get players calling me Ciaran during the game.
Having reffed and played against the same teams for 30 years, they do get to know you.
I do not have a problem with this And i do not want to pedantic and insist that the call me ref or sir.
I do tell visiting teams from out of the county that they will hear people talking to me by name bit to be fair even the teams from out of the county often do as I've reffed at this level for a number of years.
Any thoughts on this?

If you are happy with it, then work away, I prefer ref or sir, recently I had a player refer to me by name late in the 2nd half, I didnt want the other team to think that he "had my ear" so I politely asked him to stop.

Its fine if both teams know you, but the "outsider" team may feel agrieved.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
The teams around here know that it's "sir" between the lines, Simon outside them

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I don't mind what the players call me as long as the tone is respectful, obviously within reason, however if someone comes up and calls me by my name I am not going to reply with "it's ref or sir" as that is just the height of pedantry IMO.

If I know the player by name and I want to convey a message at downtime I might use their name, especially as after 6 years of refereeing and 3-4 at the 1st grade level you tend to learn everyone's names.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have been known to use a player's name in-play. I've found "Chris release" works better than "6 blue release".

Probably not compatible with L5 protocol though.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I did once dismiss a South African player for calling me a "****in Engelsman"

I mean. Englishman. Straight red sunshine.

When I'm working with Captains, I try to use first names when I'm at the early stages of managing issues. "Eric, get your guys to stay on their feet... Chris, lets's work on the backs staying onside"

Then, if I have to resort to "Red captain" or "black captain" they know immediately that Something Bad has happened, and they'll react appropriately.

It may not work for everyone, but I find it helps as a management tool.

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
At captains brief I say "Chris, Bob (whatever..) my name is Peter. If something happens in the game that demands my immediate attention such as a serious injury shout PETER. I will react far quicker than to a shout of SIR. Don't abuse it but if you need to, use my name" Never had anyone take the mick by calling me Pete all game. I say a similar thing to physios "Clare, if somebody is SERIOUSLY injured and you need me to stop the game shout "Peter stop the game" and as soon as I can I will"

Not sure I would want to be spoken to by my name as a matter of course during a game, and they don't although I think quite a lot know it......

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
At captains brief I say "Chris, Bob (whatever..) my name is Peter. If something happens in the game that demands my immediate attention such as a serious injury shout PETER. I will react far quicker than to a shout of SIR. Don't abuse it but if you need to, use my name" Never had anyone take the mick by calling me Pete all game. I say a similar thing to physios "Clare, if somebody is SERIOUSLY injured and you need me to stop the game shout "Peter stop the game" and as soon as I can I will"

Not sure I would want to be spoken to by my name as a matter of course during a game, and they don't although I think quite a lot know it......
What's longer - the pre-match brief or the game?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't agree with this, respect has to work both ways.

On the pitch I want the captains to call me 'Sir', so I will call them 'Captain'.
IMO, calling a captain by his first name, but expecting him to call me 'Sir' is treating him like a school boy

In the bar after the game, of course, it's different - first names in both directions.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I did once dismiss a South African player for calling me a "****in Engelsman"

I mean. Englishman. Straight red sunshine.

When I'm working with Captains, I try to use first names when I'm at the early stages of managing issues. "Eric, get your guys to stay on their feet... Chris, lets's work on the backs staying onside"

Then, if I have to resort to "Red captain" or "black captain" they know immediately that Something Bad has happened, and they'll react appropriately.

It may not work for everyone, but I find it helps as a management tool.

I do the same, and occasionally will use there nickname if that is how they introduce themselves. Although, it was a bit disheartening when the captain introduced himself as "Loco".