UVa Women Captain. "Hi, I'm Seaman"

"No. You're not. If you think I'm calling you that in front of Parent's Day..."

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Chris, lets's work on the backs staying onside"

Then, if I have to resort to "Red captain" or "black captain" they know immediately that Something Bad has happened, and they'll react appropriately.

Escalate from "Chris, let's work on the backs staying onside" to "Christopher, more effort required".

Works for his mother.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I don't agree with this, respect has to work both ways.

On the pitch I want the captains to call me 'Sir', so I will call them 'Captain'.
IMO, calling a captain by his first name, but expecting him to call me 'Sir' is treating him like a school boy

In the bar after the game, of course, it's different - first names in both directions.

What's wrong with having the captain calling you by your name? Or do you introduce yourself as "sir" at the pre-match brief? If so that's already put up a barrier between you and the captain IMO, especially when you are trying to work with him to facilitate their game.

Using their name, and them using yours, can be respectful as it's all about tone.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
No of course not.
When I meet the captains I shake hands and introduce myself by name, of course. But on the field they always call me Sir, and I think therefore it is respectful to call them captain
At the pre match brief, with the front row etc, I don't introduce myself. Do you?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No of course not.
When I meet the captains I shake hands and introduce myself by name, of course. But on the field they always call me Sir, and I think therefore it is respectful to call them captain
At the pre match brief, with the front row etc, I don't introduce myself. Do you?

What happens if they call you by name? Do you correct them?

When it comes to the front rowers sometimes I will do, I'll shake their hands individually and if they say their name I will tell them mine as well. Like I have said after refereeing a lot of the players for the last 3 years you get to know their names and they get to know yours. I'll only ever refer to them as a number in general play though.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So far, on the pitch no one has used my name. It's almost always Sir , sometimes Ref. That is the clearly customary around here.
If they did use my name, on the pitch, well I guess a lot would depend on context, wouldn't it, but yes might well correct them.

. I once told my son not to call me Dad on the pitch.!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
But on the field they always call me Sir, and I think therefore it is respectful to call them Captain

Match score cards, issued by my Society have a space for "captains name" , & match usage appears standard

I

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
so on the field - you use their names, they call you Sir?

Post no# 16 Simon ,...............When I'm working with Captains, I try to use first names when I'm at the early stages of managing issues. "Eric, get your guys to stay on their feet... Chris, lets's work on the backs staying onside"

Then, if I have to resort to "Red captain" or "black captain" they know immediately that Something Bad has happened, and they'll react appropriately.

It may not work for everyone, but I find it helps as a management tool.

This isn't dissimilar for me.

Last edited:

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Escalate from "Chris, let's work on the backs staying onside" to "Christopher, more effort required".

Works for his mother.

And when it gets to "Christopher Michael !!" he knows he is really for it