Referee Watch

medavidcook

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Hey, I am looking at getting a new watch for refereeing, I want it to countdown the times of the half and also vibrate at the end of the 40 mins. I will be wearing another watch that will be tracking HR and GPS data.

Have been looking at this.

Casio

Anyone use this or recommend another watch

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
not used that one, but use the casio rft100 which does what you ask....

medavidcook

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Ok thanks i am also considering the Spintso Referee Watch. Just need to decide if i want to pay £99 and then delivery as can't get in the UK.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
http://www.casio.com/products/Watches/Sports/RFT100-1V/

the casio website lets you download manuals so you can check exactly what the functions are

I like the RFT100 for the buzzer option.

The only downside is that the countdown timer only has certain preset options 45min, 40 min, 35min etc. At a sevens tournament last year we played 7min halves and the Casio won't let you start the countdown timer at 7mins. So I had to use my back up watch.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Ok thanks i am also considering the Spintso Referee Watch. Just need to decide if i want to pay £99 and then delivery as can't get in the UK.

I have the Spintso and its awesome. If you are serious about your refereeing then its money well spent.
I had to get mine from an Italian referees site, but would recommend calling A&H international to see if they have them in stock, or when they are getting some more in as its much easier if you have a problem with it. My first one just ate batteries and had to exchange it. Not had a single problem with the replacement.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
http://www.casio.com/products/Watches/Sports/RFT100-1V/

the casio website lets you download manuals so you can check exactly what the functions are

I like the RFT100 for the buzzer option.

The only downside is that the countdown timer only has certain preset options 45min, 40 min, 35min etc. At a sevens tournament last year we played 7min halves and the Casio won't let you start the countdown timer at 7mins. So I had to use my back up watch.

The countdown timer on mine has a manual set, so anything from 1 min upwards! The pre-sets are used for things like bins and blood AFAIK?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The countdown timer on mine has a manual set, so anything from 1 min upwards! The pre-sets are used for things like bins and blood AFAIK?

hmm... either we have slightly different models, or I am not using it right! I'll have to go home and RTFM

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
stopwatch mode, hold down top left button, gives you the countdown timer, this can be changed by the minute on my watch which I think is the same?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
stopwatch mode, hold down top left button, gives you the countdown timer, this can be changed by the minute on my watch which I think is the same?

Isn't stopwatch mode count UP, not DOWN?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
good point! press mode once and then top left to get to time for countdown. Not got it on so can't check :wink:

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Isn't stopwatch mode count UP, not DOWN?

Yes stopwatch mode is count up. Time can be set as BFG says by holding top left button then using right hand buttuns to set target time.

I wish that it would vibrate after playing time reached the target as well as when elapsed time does so.

Also if the timer was paused when playing time was paused that would help with sin bins.

But the Casio is a great watch.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes stopwatch mode is count up. Time can be set as BFG says by holding top left button then using right hand buttuns to set target time.

I wish that it would vibrate after playing time reached the target as well as when elapsed time does so.

This is why you set target time to 40 (or 39), start it counting up, then flick over to countdown from 40 and use that as a stopping watch...

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This is why you set target time to 40 (or 39), start it counting up, then flick over to countdown from 40 and use that as a stopping watch...

Or buy a Spintso which has countdown as well as up.......and vibrates when paused to remind you to restart.....among some oither great features. But you get what you pay for.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
and vibrates when paused to remind you to restart......

I think that is really worth paying for. forgetting to restart the watch (and who hasn't done that?) is a real nightmare.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I think that is really worth paying for. forgetting to restart the watch (and who hasn't done that?) is a real nightmare.

Yup - I do it most weeks.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

It vibrates every 10 seconds when paused. Great feature.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
A little lad was showing his new watch to his friend.

"Where did you get that? It's awesome" said the friend.
"Well, I came home early from school and I heard some noise from upstairs. I crept upstairs and saw the milkman in bed with my mam. The milkman saw me and said if I keep quiet I can have this watch. Good eh?"

The friends parted and the second boy went home jealous of his friend's watch. As he got in the house he heard noises from upstairs. He crept upstairs and peeped in his parent's room. His mother was in bed with the milkman. He opened the door and asked

"Can I have a watch?

"Of course you can", said the milkman "pull up a chair!"

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
It vibrates every 10 seconds when paused. Great feature.

That's my favorite feature of the Spintso.
I do like the non-stoping time as well...

A little trick I find useful:
Set the number of periods to 3 instead of 2... When you've got a try scored at the last minutes (or worse after the time is off), the clock keeps ticking instead of stopping fully... Which allow you to check the time taken for conversion :biggrin:

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
had a new battery put in my main casio sport today. the gent at the watch shop told me to not try it on my own - a couple things cannot be disturbed in there says he. $8 well worth it. thought I would pass that on.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
You guys will be talking about note pads to keep the score on next !