[Assistant Referees] Referees Brief to AR's

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
With the cup competitions coming around soon does anyone have a bullet point list of things to include when briefing your AR's. I usually do it from memory, but haven't done it for a while.

Thanks
Phil

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Brief:
- Don't make me look like an idiot.
End brief.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
While not a bullet point list, this comprehensive guide could help you pick out which points are important to you.

Usa rugby has a similar document. How best to summarize the key points, is down to what you personally want assistance with during the game.
Principal accountabilities of the assistant referee during the match, in order of priority are:

• Touch/touch-in-goal
• Location of the lineout and who throws in
• Signals for successful kicks at goal
• Foul play, as authorized by the Match Organizer

REPLACEMENTS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Assistant referees should familiarize themselves with Laws 3 in The Laws of the Game. This, in relevant part, deals with the number of players a team may substitute or replace.

RADIO COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS

Any input on the radios is for advice only. It does not necessarily require definitive action/penalty from the referee.

The primary use of radios should be preventive, not punitive.

If a referee has made a decision on an incident (apart from foul play - flag out and speak), an input should not be made.

Incidents where the radios should be used:

• Any offense on opposite side of the referee, e.g.,
o Knock-on at the base of a scrum or ruck
o Penalizable hands in tackle/ruck
o Back rows unbound
o Back rows shifting bind or moving around scrum
o Flankers holding opposing player onto scrum
o Props with hand on ground
o Obvious offside/forward pass
o Players in front of kicker for “box” or high kick
o Players on ground after tackle/ruck interfering with ball clearance

Can also help with:

• In-goal decisions – must keep focused on players on ground after TRY/NO TRY while still giving your call to referee
• Substitution of players to save unnecessary time off, e.g., during kick at goal after a try or any stoppage of play
• Injury in back play when it is necessary to stop the game
• Calling players who are not back 10m from penalty and free tap kicks or line-out
• Calling when ball is thrown away or prevents quick tap being taken

Don't use the radios as a substitute for flagging foul play. TJ can call that he or she has a report, but then must flag and make foul play report as usual whether he or she thinks the referee saw the incident or not.

Language
• Press button first and then talk - allow a one-second delay after pressing button before transmission occurs
• Has to be short, clear and at appropriate time
• offense, color, number
• Best to repeat message for clarity and confirmation
• Don't talk continually - it will be distracting to referee

Source

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Principal accountabilities of the assistant referee during the match, in order of priority are:

• Touch/touch-in-goal
• Location of the lineout and who throws in
• Signals for successful kicks at goal
• Foul play, as authorized by the Match Organizer

I wonder why dealing with foul play is the lowest priority

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Touch and kicks at goal.
Take the front of the line.
Foul play - hang flag only if you have a number AND it's YC worthy. if I bring you on, I'll tell you what I saw and what I intend to do. I need confirmation or correction; if I didn't see anything, I will tell you, and then you tell me AND give me a recommendation.
Scrums - go right. Unless we're inside the 15 in which case I want you at the tunnel. Be prepared to move quickly if close to the goal line.

If miked up: I want it if it's big and I missed it. If I override you, please stay quiet.
If not miked: If I'm looking at you, I need help. Either give me a signal, or hands behind back for play on. If I'm not looking at you, I'm comfortable.

I usually work with ARs I know, so we already know these. I've probably left some stuff out that we take for granted.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Certainly it's your message and directive to ARs as to what YOU want, but I'm curious om this: "Foul play - hang flag only if you have a number AND it's YC worthy".

Presumably this is only when you're mic'ed up? Otherwise have you decided that you don't want any help for PK foul play even when you've been obstructed? Eg high tackle in the blindside of a ruck/scrum/lineout????

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Certainly it's your message and directive to ARs as to what YOU want, but I'm curious om this: "Foul play - hang flag only if you have a number AND it's YC worthy".
Because this sends a message to the crowd and the other players, that whilst the referee may have missed the incident it has been spotted and liable to sanction.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Because this sends a message to the crowd and the other players, that whilst the referee may have missed the incident it has been spotted and liable to sanction.

Yes I know....but why only put it out for YC worthy offences only?? That i find peculiar.

The flag goes out for all foul play....not just those that will be recommending a YC? If mic'ed up I understand if it's a PK only to just radio it in will suffice. But even with mic then flag can still go out. Up to ref if they want to PK and move on (having seen it) or ask for a AR report for more info.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
It's a fair point.

TBH, it's a bit of a reaction to previously getting hung out by previous ARs who had a different view of foul play than I did. Literally hanging a flag for something I'd said I was comfortable with. As soon as a flag comes in, the crowd needs a decision; it's not easy to dismiss a flag so I need to know that it is in fact serious and not just twi players shoving.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I wonder why dealing with foul play is the lowest priority

Because that's a secondary duty. The other three are primary ones that really should be 2nd nature.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Because that's a secondary duty. The other three are primary ones that really should be 2nd nature.

yes, but why?

"sorry, ref, I didn't get the number of the high tackler cos I was too busy making sure the lineout is in the right spot".

Seems arse-about to me and I expect it harks back to TJs not trying to do the ref's job for him.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
yes, but why?

"sorry, ref, I didn't get the number of the high tackler cos I was too busy making sure the lineout is in the right spot".

Seems arse-about to me and I expect it harks back to TJs not trying to do the ref's job for him.

Not sure to be honest, probably something to do with that.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Most of the stuff an AR does would be instinctive - wouldn't it? After all, they are experienced Refs themselves.

I can imagine some "fine-tuning" eg I know one Ref who prefers sorting out offside in open play himself rather than an AR calling it in. I've only had ARs once and I just asked to be told of something obvious I had missed. They were good. When you have to think fast, the last thing you want is somebody talking in your ear - well it was for me anyway. :biggrin: