Referees' watches

johnH

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks for all the replies. Casio Referee Watch ordered from Amazon, plus a basic HRM for exercise purposes.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I also like that the stop watch runs at elapsed time (lower reading) and stop/start time upper reading.

getting my watch out ready for tomorrow's game I checked this again, and I remember what's wrong with it.

set the event time (ie 40 mins for an adult game)
press start

and you do indeed get two displays, one that you can stop start (playing time) and one that keeps going (elapsed time)

but the buzzer buzzes at 40 minutes elapsed time. D'Oh!
no buzzer for game-time.

So that's why I don't use it.

I use the timer mode which counts down backwards from 40 (or whatever) with stop/start and a buzzer at zero. It also shows time of day at the same time, an I make a note on my score-card of the time I start the half.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
and you do indeed get two displays, one that you can stop start (playing time) and one that keeps going (elapsed time)
How do get the split screen up?

Anyone owning a Casio RFT-100 for any length of time will know that its weak spot is its strap - and that when it breaks on the male part of the strap, it has to be sent away to Casio to be repaired, at a cost in excess of £20, to add insult to the time you are without it.

I have 2 RFT-100 watches with broken straps. Just bought the cheapest, nastiest plastic strap I could find (2 for a tenner) and superglued the male part to the remains of the original strap. Works a treat!

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I got to see Nigel Owen's Graham watch on Thurs, not the one he got for the 6 nations (Worth about £5k), but a gifted one (worth about £9k) they are big, but a very good looking watch.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I got to see Nigel Owen's Graham watch on Thurs, not the one he got for the 6 nations (Worth about £5k), but a gifted one (worth about £9k) they are big, but a very good looking watch.

Did you have to show him anything in return? :wales:

macleod33

Referees in Finland
Post Likes
I invested in the Timex global trainer with heart rate monitor. Received it this week and tried it out yesterday in a U17 7's tournament.
The GPS takes a few minutes to hook up that lead to a bit of stress as I like to have everything sorted out way before the kick-off.
Prior to the purchase, I checked up with timex for specific features, especially having an independant count down. Unfortunately, Timex confirmed that this watch didn't have this feature. I went ahead all the same and I've started sifting through the many features, but I haven't found the count down menu yet.
for the match yesterday, I customised the screen to have a stop watch (with stop-start feature), a stop watch that keeps going and the time of the day. You have to keep a close eye on the time not to go beyond full time.
once back at home, I loaded the stats into the Training Peaks web site and I got all the stats : distance, heart rate, speed....... There is also a Google Earth window where you can follow your mouvements around the pitch. You can also play back the match and observe the stats. It's great fun!!!
For my 3 matchs :
Time : 39 min
Distance: 3.5 km
Average speed : 5.2 km/h
top speed : 29.3 km/h

Simon Taylor

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
My old stopwatch has finally given up the ghost and needs replacing before the beginning of the season! It is/was a Polar MT51 heart rate monitor watch which I used since starting with Hampshire RURS in 1999 and I'd like something new that has at least equivalent functions and a good big stopwatch display.

Any recommendations for a replacement unit?
I've just created an App for Pebble watches that provides a match timer, card timers and score keeper. I'd be interested to hear any feedback on the program and its use.

http://simontaylor.wordpress.com/2014/12/26/pebble-development-a-first-app/
unknown-3.png