Reflections on Round 1

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Have to say it was a cracking set of matches in round 1 with lots of flowing rugby, no massive delays, scrums mostly completed or called quickly for FK/PK, line-outs hurried along, no red cards for head contact (something finally working?!?) and no big controversial calls. What are people's thoughts? Great advert for RU I'd say 😀

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It was very entertaining - especially the France-Italy match. I’m very interested in how England are going to handle Italy (and specifically the new wunderkind, Ange Capuozzo).

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I was at the Stadio Olympico for Italy v France - it was great. Can't remember much of it though. I recalled being pissed off because I have Ollivon in my Fantasy Team and he had a try disallowed and got a YC. Zut alors!

I also got a bit worried when Capuozzo got a knock on the head jumping for that cross kick. I've got him in my team too. :)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I am just watching Ita v Fra on the telly. Did anyone notice Jerome Garces is part of the French coaching set up? I've just noticed him sat in front of FG.

He was there last year by all accounts. Maybe explains France's improved discipline?

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I am just watching Ita v Fra on the telly. Did anyone notice Jerome Garces is part of the French coaching set up? I've just noticed him sat in front of FG.

He was there last year by all accounts. Maybe explains France's improved discipline?
Ah, of course! That's who it was. I saw a familiar face but couldn't place it...

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
He and Alex Ruiz both left refereeing to take up coaching positions. Ruiz is with Top 14 club, but I don't remember which.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

I think it's a good strategy having an elite level ref to analyse, process and communicate changes from WR and how laws are being interpreted at any given time, enabling teams to push the envelope while avoiding a high penalty count.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I think it's a good strategy having an elite level ref to analyse, process and communicate changes from WR and how laws are being interpreted at any given time, enabling teams to push the envelope while avoiding a high penalty count.
Ironically France gave away 18 PKs against the Italians. :LOL: